Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Burma
innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Oct 6 19:27:30 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know how many of you [but i'm assuming most] have heard of the crisis in Myanmar, but a friend shared this blog with me and i felt it really important to re-post it here.

http://ko-htike.blogspot.com/

there're some graphic pictures and it's seriously way intense. spread the word.

FN Posted: Sat Oct 6 22:14:29 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been following it rather closely.

It's telling to see how it is handled.

The regime is an ally of russia/china and you see how the eu and the us wouldn't touch it with a 100 meter stick, same goes for the un (yeah they have a negotiator there, but who cares, really, it took several days before he even got to see the leadership).

Things used to be different.

I agree with the war against afghanistan, but lately I've come to resent the war on Iraq more and more, not because of the fact that there was not much of a point at the time to invade it compared to other countries and that apparantly the people who had to know knew it or at least suspected as much yet consciously bended the story, but because it has enormously weakened the us on many fronts.

Iran knows that the us doesn't have either the money or public support by a long shot to invade iran and they take advantage of it by basicly responding to every threat with their middle finger.

Same thing goes for north korea, they seem to be complying more now, but we've seen that one before, and also it is more out of necessity than out of fear for military consequences and china probably had a hand in the recent "breakthroughs" too.

Meanwhile russia is trying to pretend that it's back in business again, which it isn't, but putin's bravado is probably not caused but certainly enflamed by seeing the us caught in a swamp and hemorrhaging money with relatively nothing to show for it in terms of strength or influence gained; quite the contrary.

China's annual defence budget is growing along with it's economy and in a few years time you see that they've stepped out of the shadow of the us, and I don't know, but I get the feeling and it seems logical that they intend to replace the us as the dominant power and when they do I doubt they'll show much restraint once a certain point is passed, and seeing the us army on its knees in iraq only strengthens their resolve when for example they say that taiwan and tibet are off limits to outside meddling and they can realisticly put their foot down about myanmar now as well probably.

India, well, I think "we" don't have much to fear from india because from their point of view as far as I can see they see "the west" as enemies of their enemies and that should be enough.

Seriously though, I'm not bashing the us here, for me "the west" is the us and the eu (and australia if you will) as a bloc even though us bashing in the eu and eu bashing in the us is the cool thing to do; in the end "we" are the ones that the rest of the world wants to knock down a few steps and we're both our only choices that we can *really* turn to with trust if shit ever hit the fan in a major way, so it "pains" me to observe all of this.

FN Posted: Sat Oct 6 22:19:39 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Quite the dodgy spelling and sentence constructions there, but I just got home after a pretty heavy night lol so give me some credit.

I'm going to hit the hay. It's been bad.

addi Posted: Sat Oct 6 23:36:38 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>I agree with the war against afghanistan, but lately I've come to resent the war on Iraq more and more,

Welcome to the club, sir. Better late than never I say.

I've been following the chaos in Myanmar on NPR here on my drives into work. It confirms my theory that people can really suck sometimes

libra Posted: Sun Oct 7 15:18:26 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The people I worked with at the International Rescue Committee were mostly from Myanmar.

It was strange to help them do things (go shopping, learn how to use the bank, etc) without them being able to speak english, without them being able to tell any of us what happened to them.

Posted: Sun Oct 7 15:27:34 2007 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In my first semester of university, I was a political science student. One of my introductory classes had us presenting a short seminar on a country of the world and its political climate. I got assigned a country called "Myanmar" and knew nothing whatsoever about it.

I remember that I researched it pretty heavily, and the day that I had to present my seminar is the day I left political science. first to computer science, then to philosophy.

It's just too depressing a situation to think about and not see anything done with.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]