Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

glasses
mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 9 12:45:44 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So sick of getting headaches and squinting to see the pretty girls in the office i succumbed to glasses just before christmas, i bought a damn fine and comfortable pair (which cost enough, i din't realise vision came at such a price!)

I must admit i'm thoroughly enjoying them though, excellent prop y'know.

I'm sure i've seen addi in Spectacles how many other 4 eyed GTers are there and what are you thoughts and opinions?

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 9 12:50:33 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have glasses. I rarely wear glasses. They make me look too sophisticated, classy, noble, etc. THAT GOES AGAINST MY IMAGE AS WILD SAVAGE MAN WHO EATS BULLETS FOR BREAKFAST AND SHITS NAPALM NOW DOESNT IT

But seriously, I rarely wear them. I like the world not being too clear to me, ya know?

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Wed Jan 9 13:24:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have glasses for about 2 years now, couldn't read the schoolboard and things like that
Tv was hard to view either
I really love my glasses, i can see everything clearly now :)
But sadly my eyes got worse, so i need to get a new one soon

FN Posted: Wed Jan 9 14:19:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If glasses are your thing it's all good, but I prefer contacts, especially when you go for a run or do other sweaty stuff

addi Posted: Wed Jan 9 14:55:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish I didn't have to wear mine : (
Didn't need any untill I turned 43, and then it just got worse thereafter. Now I have to wear bifocals *cry*. I tried the progressive lenses a few years ago, but I get motion sickness super easy, and after a day of trying them and bumping into things and burping constantly from getting nauseous I switched back to normal bifocals with the visible line.
I thought about lasik surgury, but I guess they could only fix it so I could see far, and I'd still need glasses for reading and stuff...plus it's expensive to boot.
I tried contacts for a while, but damn...what a pain to put in and take out. It would sometimes take me 20 minutes to get just one lense in, and the whole house would run and hide when I was trying cuz after a few failed attempts I'd start cussing like a sailor. Sometimes I couldn't tell inside from outside on them so I'd put them in wrong and it would sting like the dickens!..and other times they would slip off my pupil and end up under my eyelid or in my shorts or some god awful place. What a pain.
So I gave up on vanity, and suffer through life wearing my dumb glasses.

Mark Posted: Wed Jan 9 15:26:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have glasses, but I only wear them when driving. I need only a slightly correction to be able to see perfect in the distance, but my vision is impared enough that it is illegal for me to drive without them :(

The strange thing is though that if I wear my glasses a lot, like for five hours or so I get headaches... something isn't right :p

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jan 9 15:30:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm 52yrs old and got my first pair of glasses about 5yrs ago.
I got my first bifocals just last week.
They were having a 2 for 1 special so I got two pair. One with transitional lenses for sitting out on the deck to do some birdwatching and the regular pair to watch TV and read with.
I tried the contacts and I just didn't like them. The glasses are much more convenient for me as I put them on and take them off quite a lot.

erikagm Posted: Wed Jan 9 19:49:20 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>I thought about lasik surgury, but I guess they could only fix it so I could see far, and I'd still need glasses for reading and stuff...plus it's expensive to boot.

I wear glasses for miopia (I can't see stuff far away too well) and the health insurance provided by my company covers the surgery, but the mere thought of being able to -see- while a huge needle comes at my eye is too disturbing. I'll keep my glasses.

> I tried contacts for a while, but damn...what a pain to put in and take out. It would sometimes take me 20 minutes to get just one lense in, and the whole house would run and hide when I was trying cuz after a few failed attempts I'd start cussing like a sailor. Sometimes I couldn't tell inside from outside on them so I'd put them in wrong and it would sting like the dickens!..and other times they would slip off my pupil and end up under my eyelid or in my shorts or some god awful place. What a pain.

Had exactly the same problems, plus my eyes burned like a b*tch for hours afterwards, even after 6 months, so I just quit.

Mark said:

>The strange thing is though that if I wear my glasses a lot, like for five hours or so I get headaches... something isn't right :p

That always happens when you get a new pair of glasses for about the first week you have them. It is very common, and it is your own fault for not wearing them all the time, because if you did, then you'd have a headache if you -weren't- wearing them. Unless you have sinusitis, then it could also be because the glasses press against your sinuses. I wear extra-light polyresin "glasses" with light plastic frames to avoid just that.

mat_j Posted: Thu Jan 10 02:19:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Birdwatching eh Hif, hmmmm.

My vision isn't really that bad, in the process of adjusting to life through the lens i've forgotten them several times and it hasn't meant dickity split to my work but extended periods without eye assistance drives me wild, especially when i'm busy, and the fuzziness of things in the distance is really disturbing.

What's the average cost of a pair of specs in the rest of the world, because i'm sure rip of Britain is bumming me again?

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Jan 10 07:22:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I got two pair of bifocals, one with transitional lenses and one with regular lenses.
I had to pay $107.00 out of pocket after my insurance kicked in.

libra Posted: Thu Jan 10 11:02:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a pair. But I never wear them. Apparently using the computer, etc, has weakened my eyes. But I'm worried my eyes will get worse if I wear glasses.

Mine were entirely covered by my insurance. I get like, $120 in glasses every 2 years or something like that.

Kira Posted: Thu Jan 10 19:20:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wear corrective lenses for "lazy eye" which I've had since childhood, but normally I do contacts. I will often take them out hours before bed though so I wear my glasses for reading a lot, and odd times the lenses start to bother me and I'll wear the specs all day with people going "you look so studious and sophisto-mo-cated!"

Up to last year I got all my eye goodies through my father's family insurance policy. Pretty soon I'll have to stock up my lense supply again and depending on how much it costs I may just have to go back to glasses for a while. I'm excited to try http://www.zennioptical.com which is said to provide very decent prescription glasses for low low prices.

novemberrain Posted: Thu Jan 10 19:22:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wear glasses. And this thread has reminded me that it's probably time I went in for a checkup.

erikagm Posted: Thu Jan 10 19:57:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>What's the average cost of a pair of specs in the rest of the world, because i'm sure rip of Britain is bumming me again?

I just got 2 pairs of glasses here in Mexico, one pair were sunglasses with polylite lenses (a special super light-weight lens), prescription and antireflectant, and the other pair were just polylite lenses, prescription and antireflectant.

The frames were both DKNY (large for the sunglasses, those black rectangular ones for the prescription) and I took advantage of this "buy 2, pay 1/2" deal.

All in all, I dished out about 430 dlls for them, no insurance coverage. (We don't have eye insurance here in Mexico, at least not that I know of anyway)

Of course, had I wanted titanium frames or a different brand, they could have been cheaper or more expensive.

erikagm Posted: Thu Jan 10 19:58:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The deal was actually "buy 2, pay 1 1/2".

Damn fractions in conversations.

sweet p Posted: Fri Jan 11 01:23:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  j'aime les hommes with glasses.

Mark Posted: Fri Jan 11 03:13:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>What's the average cost of a pair of specs in the rest of the world, because i'm sure rip of Britain is bumming me again?
For mine I paid about 200 euros. They can be cheaper, but you'll notice in quality.

FN Posted: Fri Jan 11 06:57:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And on a totally unrelated note:

Best wishes for the handsome couple!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=507268&in_page_id=1770

addi Posted: Fri Jan 11 07:06:05 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>j'aime les hommes with glasses.

I don't know what the hell that means, but by god I love it when you speak french.

and on a totally unrelated note:
Christophe, would you please stop doing "on a totally unrelated note" posts!

: )

FN Posted: Fri Jan 11 08:13:07 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, they always make me laugh

You know how I am, always spreading joy

Mesh Posted: Fri Jan 11 09:24:11 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Honestly, I think Dean is the more attractive of the two. And I don't like dudes, 'cause it's Friday.

And on a totally unrelated note:

My right eyeball hurts because I this has been my sleeping schedule.

tuesday, went to bed 2:30 pm woke up 5:30 pm. wednesday, went to bed 11:30pm woke up 2:30am. thursday, didn't go to bed will see if I go to sleep before saturday officially starts. repeat this for the past five weeks or so.

I hate insomnia my head hurts and I don't want to shower!

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jan 11 10:10:40 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Well, they always make me laugh
>
>You know how I am, always spreading joy
>
Hmmm, I wonder how Joy feels about that ?
:-)

FN Posted: Fri Jan 11 10:46:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can never make out what she says in between her gasping and twitching in ecstacy

everyday_daisy Posted: Fri Jan 11 11:01:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been wearing glasses since I was 12.

I actually bought a new pair yesterday. My boyfriend calls me Rivers!

Personally, I don't like wearing them 24/7. I prefer living in a pretty and blurry world.

I only put them on for lectures or when I have to read something far off like a notice/menu.

addi Posted: Fri Jan 11 11:10:39 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  everyday_daisy said:

>Personally, I don't like wearing them 24/7. I prefer living in a pretty and blurry world.

I've found that I get a lot more compliments from women when they have their glasses off and look at me with blurred vision.

: )

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jan 11 12:54:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>everyday_daisy said:
>
>>Personally, I don't like wearing them 24/7. I prefer living in a pretty and blurry world.
>
>I've found that I get a lot more compliments from women when they have their glasses off and look at me with blurred vision.
>
Yeah, but that's only cuz you're ugly.
:-)

addi Posted: Fri Jan 11 15:49:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Yeah, but that's only cuz you're ugly.
>:-)

That's what I meant, silly : )

antartica Posted: Mon Jan 14 03:10:25 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i need them glasses though it's only 125 correction per side for myopia...

it's a pain in the butt but it makes me look a little more intelligent so i dun mind... :p hahaa

but if i am headed to the beach for the day or some activity where i'd rather have shades on, i put on contacts...

i've always been one where it's always gotta be in focus so i basically have my goggles on from wake up to bed :(

it's slowly going up i know coz my 125's now are getting blurry... i'm just waitin for them to get real bad to justify lasik or something like that...

everyday_daisy Posted: Tue Jan 15 23:06:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Addi, you're wonderful. I don't think you're ugly. And I'm certain I can say that to your face :)

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 16 05:32:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mmmph Brr Grr Ak!

Glasses are so friggin cheap in the states compared to this lousy as country!

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jan 18 01:27:33 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wear my contacts a lot. My glasses fog up at work/school and I don't want them slipping off into a dish. yadda yadda yadda. Just easier.

antartica Posted: Sun Jan 20 01:48:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Mmmph Brr Grr Ak!
>
>Glasses are so friggin cheap in the states compared to this lousy as country!

what a pair cost ya Mat_j?

in dingapore i had a pair of levi's half frames (transparent) with prescription lense for about S$240, thats about say US$170 or 67

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]