Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Saturdays
Posted: Sun Jan 13 02:02:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  (reposted from http://philrenaud.com - PS: I'm blogging again)

(Blog Soundtrack: Jolie Holland - Demon Lover Improv ( http://criminalsaint.com/jolie%20holland%20-%20demon%20lover%20improv.mp3 ). Open it in a new tab/window and read along)

Strange days, theaudience. Strange days.

I don't remember how or when I woke up. I remember that I dug around my fridge and pantry before deciding on crackers and cheese for breakfast out of a lack of viable morning-food options. It had been awhile since I'd done groceries, or really, since I'd even left the house for a reason that wasn't for work.

Right. So, I don't remember waking up.

I remember thinking how the toilets seemed to be flushing in a fairly odd way. I didn't think anything of it then, but I thought a whole lot of it when my running water ran out completely.

I should mention that I've been living in this condo now for over six months. I've never had a conversation with my neighbours that got further than a rushed and grammatically improper sentence. My first thought, then, was to call my Dad.

"What do I do? I've got to shower and stuff"

"You know, you need to be able to figure this stuff out on your own now. You live by yourself, two thousand miles away from everybody here."

and he's right.

"call Etta"

Etta is the realtor that leased me this condo. She's an older lady whose face never changes, and thus whose mood is never easily discernible. She unwisely gave me her mobile phone number when I signed the lease.

"Hello?"

I could hear the Green Bay/Seattle game on in the background.

"Etta, I think my plumbing is fucked"

then, after a long pause,

"is it just in your unit? or is it building-wide?"

shit. Her saying that put the chances that I was going to have to speak to my neighbours at about 95%.

"I'll call you back"

I walked next door, a one-bedroom apartment of a middle-aged woman I've seen but never spoken with. Her wicker welcome mat used to say "Welcome!", but now it's been turned so that the printed side faces the floor and only after a few seconds of staring does one realize that it's not a message in some foreign, backwards-looking tongue.

In any event, no answer.

I walked downstairs to the unit of Old-Woman-who-Parks-Too-Close-to-my-Car. OWwPTCtmC came to the door at my second attempt at a knock, hair in a mess and and sporting a newer model iPod than I've got.

"Sorry to be a bother, but is your water running?"

It's been six months since I've had to introduce myself to somebody, so I'm rusty. Give me a break.

After a brief chat and a handshake, she tells me that she's had the repairman over all morning because she was getting a constant drip. For some reason he must have shut off my water when he was trying to shut of hers, but it should be back on in an hour.

---

I'm going to glaze over the part where Old-French-Man (OFM) and Guy-I-Met-In-the-Laundry-Room-Once (GIMitLRO) advised me to just take a dip in the condo estate's pool instead of waiting for my own shower, because it occurs to me that this post is getting far too long. In fact, that Jolie Holland song I posted above might have already ended (I hope you liked it, it took awhile to grow on me). Here's another song ( http://criminalsaint.com/Belle%20and%20Sebastian%20-%20Piazza%20New%20York%20Catcher.mp3 ), just in case.

I had to go to the office to wrap up the second phase of a large project we're right in the middle of at work. I left only half-assured that I'd have running water again when I got back. Slapping on an unholy amount of deodorant and sprucing up with my strongest cologne, I grabbed the movies I'd had sitting on my desk since NYE and took the 101 down to Tempe.

I'm a good saturday worker, which doesn't bode well for my long-term sanity or ability to relate with others. I spent about five hours, missed all of one playoff NFL game and half of another, and got home just in time catch New England knock off Jacksonville, and to do my groceries.

If I ever needed to be reminded that Scottsdale is a city of pretentious jerks, doing my groceries at 10:00pm on a Saturday night is probably a good way to go about it. I can usually do my groceries in about 12 minutes flat, but tonight I didn't know what to expect (who buys groceries this late? honestly.)

I push a squeaky cart from aisle to aisle and pick up the essentials (milk, eggs, peanut-butter-chocolate Lindor truffles), and head to the registers up front. There's a line out of check-out row #4 and is about 15 people long. I can see a chubby kid with curly hair busting his ass bagging and scanning, and I'm calm. It's saturday at 10pm and we're doing groceries - it's not like we've got anyplace to go.

A couple of women a few spots behind me yelled across the way to the chubby, curly-haired kid (CCHK), saying that he'd better open another line because there are a lot of people waiting in this one, to which he replied "The only other staff member is on break", or something along those lines.

Whatever. People have to smoke, or use the facilities, or what have you. It's nothing to get worked up over, right?

The women (middle-aged, blond, dressed in lots of denim, a cart full of mostly inexpensive white wine) start throwing a tantrum. They begin (unflatteringly) emulating your stereotypical box-store public address system,

"Kchhhck, can we get a lane open on aisle five"

and when that didn't work,

"Kkcchhhhhhkk, can we get a lane open on aisle six"

and when that didn't work,

they walked past one of the roped-off checkout counters and demanded to speak with a manager. When they were informed that there was no manager on hand during the night shift, one suggested that they just get back in line and the other one opened her purse, slapped a bunch of money down, and started taking a few essentials out of her cart, saying "and don't worry about the receipt" in her best, most facetious tone of voice.

The other grocery shoppers nervously shift their eyes to the scene, thinking the woman might make a run for it. Some groan, knowing this will delay their purchase even further.

The CCHK explains that they can't do that, and maybe he used his particularly reasonable voice, because the less-than-crazy blond woman told her colleague that they should just get back in line. The checkout process resumed, crisis averted.

When I finally made it to checkout (plastic, debit, $20 cashback for the washer/dryer), I said to the kid,

"Don't worry, shit gets a lot better from here on out".

So, that's how I spent my Saturday. How was yours?

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jan 13 06:58:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a fuckng toothache.

Posted: Sun Jan 13 10:49:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I have a fuckng toothache.

ughh toothaches
last month I had a filling redone and they didn't get it all the way filled in so my artery and nerve ending were... touching. basically. Gave me a headache that lasted three weeks and rendered me more or less incapacitated without vicodin every other hour.

When it came time for the root canal, it felt like a dream.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sun Jan 13 13:31:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I pretended to study
Did the same thing today
Will do the same thing tomorrow
and the day after that

And then, I'll fail, caus I can't get my head to focuss and study for real
I blame my daydreams :)

Kira Posted: Sun Jan 13 13:36:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I drove for 45 minutes to work for an hour and a half this morning and have to do it again this afternoon. Then I have to sit through a meal with someone who makes me so sick I just want to destroy everything in sight.

This morning I told the most bald-faced, stupid lie to someone who just wanted to have me to lunch with her. And I KNOW she knows I lied, and I feel like complete shit. All I had to say was I wanted to be by myself, but NO. Fuck.

Kira Posted: Sun Jan 13 13:37:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh wait. We're talking about Saturdays.

Saturday was pretty damn nice.

FN Posted: Sun Jan 13 13:57:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Saturday was spent studying, the days before too and about a week and a half to come as well.

I'm very tired.

But life should be sweet for several weeks after that.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sun Jan 13 14:37:40 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>
>But life should be sweet for several weeks after that.

So true!
But still, at the moment, it sucks :)
Exams are one pretty rotten time of the year

Mesh Posted: Sun Jan 13 16:32:11 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well let's see.....at around ten in the morning I left where I was, went and got three bacon egg and cheese biscuits from McDonalds(I know, it's the first time I got anything from there in long time, though....) came home and ate that. Got online for a little while, then went with my photographer friend to a state park and hung out with her while she took pictures. Then came home around 3pm and finally went to bed. Woke up around 8pm, went downtown to hear a friends band, a good number of other friends showed up, it was nice seeing them. After that, went to a local saloon with a few of them and we met some other friends there, then we all went to someones apartment after the bar closed, played trivial pursuit until about 7am. Fell asleep around 830am, woke up a little while ago, just got home, gonna shower and go to a bbq. Wooo weekends!

DanSRose Posted: Tue Jan 15 18:59:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I went out for tapas and read. "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (aka Dr. Greg House, aka The Prince Regent [etc.]) is absolutely fantastic.

everyday_daisy Posted: Wed Jan 16 03:26:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  E-mail coming your way!

Mouse Posted: Wed Jan 16 20:39:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ah, Saturday.
Woke up in a Dallas motel room and kissed my angel good morning, eventually tore myself away from him and prepared for the day. Called my aunt and made plans with her. She picked me and my love up and we went to her house for a brief tour of their remodeling, and then dinner with her, her husband and one of my cousins. She delivered us back to our motel where we met up with the rest of the group we were traveling with and went out to grab a snack. They waited until after midnight so they could get breakfast burritos while I talked everyone into going to the strip club we had discussed since planning the vacation. Calls were made, directions procured and off we went. Our rides GPS misdirected us but not too far off course and we arrived at the club. We stood about awkwardly seeing the sites and trying to find a place to sit for a time while a few of the guys whined that they did not serve alcohol. A table freed up and a few hours were spent sitting, me on my boy's lap, admiring the ladies. I did not get my promised lapdance, as the cover fee had cleaned both me and my man's wallets fairly well. We left for the motel together, gathered to discuss the evenings events and then parted to our rooms. My boy and I did not get to sleep until well after four.
^_^ Adventures!
M.

Whoa, long post...

iggy Posted: Wed Jan 16 23:06:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sleep
haha
or i work freelance.

FN Posted: Thu Jan 17 09:15:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The end is nigh. Just a few more days.

Also, don't give me any spoilers because I haven't seen any episode of it yet but my deadwood dvd box just arrived, it's supposed to be good but I will only be able to start watching it in like a week or something but I feel the itch

Mesh Posted: Thu Jan 17 19:33:22 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>
>
>deadwood

I loved it. Only got to see the first season and half the second though. Tell you what, I'm coming over on Saturday to watch it with you. I'll bring drinks and snacks. And a lady, if you'd like.

Mouse, what strip club? Was it The Clubhouse? Also, Dallas.....boooooooo

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jan 18 01:23:37 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I usually buy my groceries at 2 or 3 am. I figure if I don't do it when I get out of work, it will never happen. Wegmans is like church for me.

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jan 18 01:45:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Holy shit phil, I just realized you called your bathroom the "washroom" in your video. This is only funny to me because I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about our canadian customers that come through asking for the washroom.

Posted: Fri Jan 18 09:17:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>Holy shit phil, I just realized you called your bathroom the "washroom" in your video. This is only funny to me because I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about our canadian customers that come through asking for the washroom.

=(

I get teased about this every day. I think it's pretty funny. actually :)

Mesh Posted: Fri Jan 18 12:04:21 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I usually buy my groceries at 2 or 3 am. I figure if I don't do it when I get out of work, it will never happen. Wegmans is like church for me.

Same here. That is the only time HEB is packed full of about a thousand mexicans and blacks and fat white trash. God I can't stand them. Letting their loud ass kids run around knocking into shit, walking four or five side by side down the aisle.....at like, ten feet per minute, rude, ugly, fat, smelly. GOD I HATE GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE ON THIS SIDE OF TOWN anytime during the hours of about 7am and 11pm.

I could right a twenty page essay on why they aren't real people, and shouldn't be allowed to shop at real people stores.

FN Posted: Fri Jan 18 13:40:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>Christophe said:
>>
>>
>>deadwood
>
>
>I loved it. Only got to see the first season and half the second though. Tell you what, I'm coming over on Saturday to watch it with you. I'll bring drinks and snacks. And a lady, if you'd like.

Make that 2 ladies and you got yourself a deal

Just watched the 2 first episodes. Pure kick-ass.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jan 18 13:46:13 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>
>Same here. That is the only time HEB is NOT packed full of about a thousand mexicans and blacks and fat white trash.

Fixed

Two ladies, you've got yourself a deal.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jan 18 13:47:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Also, it's write, not right.

Mesh Posted: Thu Jan 24 23:10:21 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, Clarts, a new Saturday is fast approaching. Any Plans?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]