Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

eat everything edible
Ahriman Posted: Tue Jan 29 01:10:06 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anyone know any good internship/fellowship programs from the States to Europe/Asia? I'd love to study under some of those amazing chefs out there.

FN Posted: Tue Jan 29 10:26:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I'd love to study under some of those amazing chefs out there.

Gay!

Haha, couldn't stop myself

Seriously though, I saw a program yesterday about a guy whose restaurant was voted best in the world a while ago, and he employs around 90 people so with somebody like that you might have a chance of getting in since 1 more guy won't make the difference, but I figure you'd expect him to pay for your hotel and such?

It was in Britain somewhere I'll look it up for you

FN Posted: Tue Jan 29 10:30:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.fatduck.co.uk/

From there under "carreers":

Experimental Kitchen Stage Placements - We are now accepting Stage placements for our experimental kitchen. Applicants are required to give a minimum commitment of three months and must be in possession of a valid visa and/or work permit or be a current student or recent graduate of an accredited culinary program and be eligible for a BUNAC visa. Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate excellent culinary skills and a committed work history.

. Chef Stage Placements - We are now accepting Stage placements for 2007. Applicants are required to give a minimum commitment of one month and must be in possession of a valid visa and/or work permit. We do not offer accommodation or payment for any placements undertaken.
Please click here to forward your CV.

Aside from the above:

I guess there are several restaurants out there who's be willing to take you on for minimum wages and then go on about how some guy from abroad came to them to study, I'd say be careful so you don't get taken advantage of, on the other hand I don't know how likely it is that in general they'll pay for your accommodations and such.

FN Posted: Tue Jan 29 10:35:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  One of the most famous (nationally) Belgian restaurants is this one http://www.commechezsoi.be

"Opportunities currently available :

Commis de cuisine (m/f)

Good recommendations"

They might require you to know dutch and french maybe but I'm not sure, in any case if you're looking for something there's no reason why you couldn't contact 50 restaurants and see how they respond.

As far as I know though in Europe most top class restaurants are family businesses, I don't know how easy they'd let you in if you want anything more than minimum wage and I can't imagine any restauranteur I've ever come across offering somebody an internship+food and shelter

addi Posted: Tue Jan 29 12:39:32 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Such a source of info you are Christophe!
Would you be a dear and find me some lodging in the French Riviera..say around Antibes in May. Something elegant, but not too pretentious. Something that screams this guy has arrived, but he's a totally down to earth dude would be nice.
Thanks so much. I'll hang up now and wait for your response.

oh yeah...it needs to be under $70/night U.S.

sweet p Posted: Tue Jan 29 13:32:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ooh do you do south american adventure getaways?

FN Posted: Tue Jan 29 14:04:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sometimes I even surprise myself

is what I would say if I wasn't omniscient ;)

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 30 05:02:05 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey Chris, can you sort out my self employment forms please?

Ahriman Posted: Wed Jan 30 08:28:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  fuck, why do I have classes today...

http://www.wgrz.com/weather/ClosingCentral.aspx

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]