Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Whatcha reading?
mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:28:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And why?

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:35:22 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At this very moment, a thread on fark about how much homeless people make panhandling. Because fark is fun.

When not doing that, Spiritual Harmony. Because I like to read about what I don't have.

Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:36:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This using the same computer thing always seems so pointless, next time i'll just dictate to you what i want to say and you tell em i said it ok?

Anyway

I am reading 'Norwegian Wood' that Mat_j has lent me, it's very good, I am reading it because he keeps telling me to read it. I am also reading 'Hold
your hour and have another' by Brendan Behan which i read lots because it's funny and the only Behan book i own.

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:37:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Spiritual-Harmony-Stocking-Anderson/dp/0962959316/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202387791&sr=1-6

Nah but it's a good book though.

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:41:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm reading The Portrait of the artist as a young dog by Dylan Thomas, which makes young Patrick and I a pair of dirty stereotypes, reading our our respective nations national authors...

If you don't count Yeats, who is shit.

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 7 07:46:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh and i'm reading it because I was reading the Dylan Thomas Omibus (Dylanthomnibus?) the other day as a shield against some less literate of my kin, i knew they wouldn't ask me anything about a book, i happened to find portrait in it and am enthralled, and i didn't get asked any stupid questions by said folk either.

Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:00:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>If you don't count Yeats, who is shit.

Hey you big welsh cock!

Ah shit, I just went to wiki quote to prove you wrong but all i found of any worth was

"Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart."

And that's not that good either.

Yeats is shit.

Billy Pilgrim Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:11:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anyway, Behan is more a counterpart to Saunders Lewis who he is definitely better than.

Ireland 1, Wales Nil

Thomas is your Yeats.

Wales 1, Ireland Nil

You have the manic street preachers we have U2....

No score Draw

We have The Pogues you have Max Boyce.

Ireland 3 Wales nil

Ireland wins overall

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:29:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Tom Jones, River dance

Ireland foreit the game.

Now please this is a thread about books not the mildly racist challenge that are our daily conversations.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:33:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States

;)

Cause I wanted to.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:34:07 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States

;)

Cause I wanted to.

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 7 08:40:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/OPINION05/802060339/1006/OPINION

This.

lol?

DanSRose Posted: Thu Feb 7 11:05:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Four-Kazu-Kibuishi/dp/0345490401/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202400211&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Marshes-Other-Occupational-Hazards/dp/0156032791/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202400325&sr=1-1

DanSRose Posted: Thu Feb 7 11:06:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And I've been watching the whole saga of this (this is the ending)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLfvf-L8pXc&watch_response

Kira Posted: Thu Feb 7 18:22:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Dylanthomnibus," LOL.

I am reading the Elric saga by Michael Moorcock. Not bad really, but I'm glad I'm on the last book. Ghormengast has been sitting on my night table for over a month and I promised myself I would finish this series first.

Elric is a fantasy classic and it was inevitable that I pick it up sometime. I think I made up my mind when I saw somebody's painting of the protagonist two or three months ago.

I am also reading "Architectural Sketching and Rendering" edited by Stephen Kliment, not because I want to draw buildings, but because the artwork therein is DAMN COOL.

sweet p Posted: Thu Feb 7 22:46:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Adams
- d. adams is one of my favourite [Canadian] authors and i haven't read this one yet.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks
- sacks is too cool and tells me about things that i've already been thinking about but also teaches me new things. i've read parts of this one before but never got around to reading it completely. i really want to get my hands on a copy of Musicophilia but my only chance right now is buying it. and i don't buy new books.

Posted: Fri Feb 8 01:59:20 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Adams
>- d. adams is one of my favourite [Canadian] authors and i haven't read this one yet.

Coupland, you mean? I've just finished reading The Gum Thief.

And actually, I have that sitting on my shelf :) My kid sister got it for me for Christmas. Looking forward to getting around to it.

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 8 03:22:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This has no bearing on the thread topic, however.......it must be addressed.

Phil, you moved to the Phoenix Metro area because of the massive surrounding dessertlands, didn't you? I've been out in Arizona, Mister. Prime body dumping real estate, there, eh pal?

I guess it also doesn't help that the Phoenix, as well as the Tucson metro areas offer a goddamn smörgåsbord of many different type of your typical serial killer victim.

Huh Phil? Huh?

I'm on to you. A serial killer never escapes me.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri Feb 8 05:26:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm reading the dante club by matthew pearl. it sounded awesome and i love dante. as well as matthew pearl his book the poe shadow was really good. i haven't read a book in a long while which is rare for me.

btw-
who else thought the ending of harry potter 7 sucked balls...

- i want to say one thing... a writing tip for J.K.- don't kill off all the good characters and end on a sappy slapped together bullshit ending...

damn... i hate that woman for ruining the end of that book. it had so much going for it she had to ruin it with a disney ending... not worth the $20 i paid for it.

mat_j Posted: Fri Feb 8 08:03:41 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>"Dylanthomnibus," LOL.
>
>I am reading the Elric saga by Michael Moorcock. Not bad really, but I'm glad I'm on the last book. Ghormengast has been sitting on my night table for over a month and I promised myself I would finish this series first.

Ah i love Michael Moorcock, warlord of the air and the Cornelius chronicles are fantastic

FN Posted: Fri Feb 8 08:08:41 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Finished Thus Spoke Zarathustra yesterday.

next in line are

will to power
anarchy state and utopia
the divine comedy
freakonomics

DanSRose Posted: Fri Feb 8 10:20:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks

I love The Anthropologist on Mars.

Up next for me is "Mr. Wallace and the Negro Magician" by Daniel Wallace of Big Fish (whose book is not really like the movie) and "The Mummy Congress", which the about mummy trade and all the mummies around the world.

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 8 14:02:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Finished Thus Spoke Zarathustra yesterday.
>
>next in line are
>
>will to power
>anarchy state and utopia
>the divine comedy
>freakonomics

All good books, my man. All in my personal library(which is, by any estimation, quite a vast collection.)

FN Posted: Fri Feb 8 14:12:43 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>Christophe said:
>>Finished Thus Spoke Zarathustra yesterday.
>>
>>next in line are
>>
>>will to power
>>anarchy state and utopia
>>the divine comedy
>>freakonomics
>
>
>All good books, my man. All in my personal library(which is, by any estimation, quite a vast collection.)

Have you ever read any of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Bottom-Worldview-Makes-Underclass/dp/1566635055
http://www.amazon.com/Our-Culture-Whats-Left-Mandarins/dp/156663721X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/102-1687131-9639357

Think you'd like them

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 8 17:40:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I believe an acquaintance of mine may own that second one. I may ask if I can borrow it.

sweet p Posted: Fri Feb 8 18:00:06 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>
>Coupland, you mean?

heh, yes. i defo meant COUPLAND. but i enjoy Douglas Adams as well!

Mesh Posted: Fri Feb 8 20:16:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Waiting for an answer here, Phil. Or should I say the Scottsdale Slayer?

Posted: Sat Feb 9 01:08:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>Waiting for an answer here, Phil. Or should I say the Scottsdale Slayer?

heh. Phoenix is good times, man. There are some drawbacks (we have no winter. I miss the snow. etc.), but overall I've got few complaints.

And no, I haven't been out murdering people. The Superbowl came and went and that was pretty cool, but I didn't manage to get out on the town for the major stalk-and-slash event I'd been planning.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Feb 9 07:52:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>
>And no, I haven't been out murdering people. The Superbowl came and went and that was pretty cool, but I didn't manage to get out on the town for the major stalk-and-slash event I'd been planning.
>
Don't get too far behind Crim, there's a lot of people out there that need killing.
:-)

libra Posted: Sun Feb 10 16:43:47 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am reading Birds Without Wings by Louis DeBernieres.

Why? Because a couple years ago Mat_j told me to read Corelli's Mandolin and I did and liked it a lot. And now I'm enjoying this book and its making me want to go to Turkey.

FN Posted: Sun Feb 10 16:53:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I am reading Birds Without Wings by Louis DeBernieres.
>
>Why? Because a couple years ago Mat_j told me to read Corelli's Mandolin and I did and liked it a lot. And now I'm enjoying this book and its making me want to go to Turkey.

Break out the veil

deep Posted: Sun Feb 10 22:02:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  American gov't: a historical introduction.
why? cuz my professor says i have to or else he'll fail me.

mat_j Posted: Mon Feb 11 09:07:22 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I am reading Birds Without Wings by Louis DeBernieres.
>
>Why? Because a couple years ago Mat_j told me to read Corelli's Mandolin and I did and liked it a lot. And now I'm enjoying this book and its making me want to go to Turkey.

Oh yeah! I got BWOW, i haven't finished reading it yet though (was sidetracked by something no doubt). DeBernieres is emotive, love the way he can paint you a complete portrait of a character so quickly and effortlessly!

mat_j Posted: Mon Feb 11 09:08:39 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry i was going to say something a lot more than DeBerniere is emotive there. Now i feel like a klutz and am forced to hide in fear.

Mesh Posted: Mon Feb 11 10:59:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  That Hideous Strengh-C.S.Lewis

libra Posted: Mon Feb 11 23:26:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Sorry i was going to say something a lot more than DeBerniere is emotive there. Now i feel like a klutz and am forced to hide in fear.

Don't hide! You always have good things to say.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 13 08:34:07 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Plans changed, I just picked up this big boy:

http://www.amazon.com/Europa-Reizen-door-twintigste-eeuw/dp/9045011786

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]