Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

So yeah...
kurohyou Posted: Mon Mar 3 03:50:21 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So I bought myself a macbook today. A decision which has come with much lauding by some and much to the dismay of others. Its kinda strange, or am I the only one that notices that those with more conservative leanings tend to be more pro PC, while those with more liberal leanings tend to be pro Mac?

I noticed this within my own family, where I tend to lean more to the liberal side, despite my career choice, and my brothers tend to lean more to the conservative side.

Both brothers think I'm nuts for getting a Mac, though they don't really seem to have a good reason as to why the decision is nuts. The arguement/debate follows the same lines as many of the other conservative and liberal-esque debates I have engaged with them in in the past.

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if its isolated to my family.

In other news. My job is going well. I'm convinced I have front row tickets to the best show on earth, and its been a hell of a learning experience. I'm off to fight crime since I'm technically on duty as I write this.

For what it's worth...


 
addi Posted: Mon Mar 3 06:54:43 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so what kind of computer does an independent buy?
There may be something to your theory, but I buck that trend. I'm a PC guy and I'm definately not on the right..just ask hif. I know B'bum uses a mac and her idol is Ann Coulter so maybe it's just your family. : )

great to hear from you, kuro. I sleep better at night knowing you're out on the mean streets quietly doing your duty...keeping us safe from guys like meshie that like to hide under my bed.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Mon Mar 3 09:54:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>so what kind of computer does an independent buy?
>There may be something to your theory, but I buck that trend. I'm a PC guy and I'm definately never right.
>
That's true, he's never been right.
:-)


 
FN Posted: Mon Mar 3 14:53:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:
>Its kinda strange, or am I the only one that notices that those with more conservative leanings tend to be more pro PC, while those with more liberal leanings tend to be pro Mac?

It's because socialists tend to be more insecure about social acceptance and need to show their group allegiance more I think. Whether that's a flag or a mac doesn't make that much of a difference


;)


 
beetlebum Posted: Mon Mar 3 16:34:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>so what kind of computer does an independent buy?
>There may be something to your theory, but I buck that trend. I'm a PC guy and I'm definately not on the right..just ask hif. I know B'bum uses a mac and her idol is Ann Coulter so maybe it's just your family. : )
>

LIES!!!!!!!!!!

i don't even own a mac.








just kidding. i do.




 
kurohyou Posted: Mon Mar 3 18:39:21 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>kurohyou said:
>>Its kinda strange, or am I the only one that notices that those with more conservative leanings tend to be more pro PC, while those with more liberal leanings tend to be pro Mac?
>
>It's because socialists tend to be more insecure about social acceptance and need to show their group allegiance more I think. Whether that's a flag or a mac doesn't make that much of a difference
>
>
>;)

Right...


 
FN Posted: Mon Mar 3 19:04:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  haha

The following is meant half seriously but in good fun so don't take it too hard:


It's true though, in a way. Right now owning a mac is, for people who aren't really computer/mac savvy as they say, more a statement than anything else I think.

What that statement is I wouldn't know, but my guess is that it's the same statement people used to make by wearing bright clothes and flowers in their hair.

The genius of a mac, ipod, etc. is that they made the masses believe that even though they're a giant multinational, they're "alternative" and "one of us". Much like several clothing brands or shoe manufacturers.

And alternative these days is cool, no matter how mainstream it is.


It's one of the many reasons I love capitalism, it always wins haha



Anybody want to buy a mass marketed che guevara patch for the the mac carrying case as a symbol of blooming individuality and nonconformism? ;)


 
Posted: Mon Mar 3 19:59:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just snagged a macbook pro last tuesday - day it came out.

I owned an Apple II back in 1989 or so, but that's the last time I had one. Since then I've had, between family and my own, about 8 PCs. Heck, when I moved to Arizona (8 months ago), I even bought a brand spanking new PC. The Macbook Pro cost more than three times what the PC did, and is in fact (slightly) slower in terms of benchmark processor speed.

The thing is, the Mac is an intuitive machine for what I do. I'm a designer, mostly on the web. OS X and applications like BBEdit and Quicksilver (seriously, get quicksilver) allow me to get through the menial parts of computer use without having to think about it, in a minimal amount of time. I get to concentrate on my work and the tasks I actually care about, rather than worrying about highly varied and poorly designed interfaces and compatibility issues.

I'm all for Mac right now.


 
Mesh Posted: Mon Mar 3 21:14:39 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  God damn libs.


 
addi Posted: Tue Mar 4 07:28:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>LIES!!!!!!!!!!

Just seeing if you were paying attention.
you were.
as usual. : )


 
addi Posted: Tue Mar 4 07:40:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>And alternative these days is cool, no matter how mainstream it is.

very true. Madison Avenue (as we say in the states) knows what they're doing and there's lots of sheep willing to buy into what they tell us. Having said that I'm also sure that a multitude of people that own macs do it for very valid reasons other than status or being liberals...like B'bum and Kuro for example..even though they're both super cool : )

>Anybody want to buy a mass marketed che guevara patch for the the mac carrying case as a symbol of blooming individuality and nonconformism? ;)

I don't make it around the hot youth hang outs and campuses much anymore (police orders). I'm curious if "I'm cool and alternative" things like the che guevara patch more widespread in europe than here?


 
kurohyou Posted: Wed Mar 12 21:22:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>great to hear from you, kuro. I sleep better at night knowing you're out on the mean streets quietly doing your duty...keeping us safe from guys like meshie that like to hide under my bed.

I got a commendation today for pulling a suicidal individual off of a second floor railing before he had a chance to jump off of it on Monday night... Kinda cool.

Not that it matters...


 
addi Posted: Wed Mar 12 22:04:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:

>Not that it matters...

That matters......a lot.
Kudos Kuro : )


 
Kira Posted: Wed Mar 12 23:09:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:
>I got a commendation today for pulling a suicidal individual off of a second floor railing before he had a chance to jump off of it on Monday night... Kinda cool.
>


I had to chuckle at this... Not that there's anything funny about suicide, and I'm really proud of you, but jumping from a second floor just seems like really poor planning.

I'm glad you were there to help him. Congratulations on the commendation!


 
misszero Posted: Sun Mar 16 06:55:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i often have people telling me macs are so much more 'intuitive'. Seems to be a mac buzzword. I have noticed that people who are designers of more or less anything prefer macs (well, designers i know, or have foisted their computer preferences on me for no reason). (and by designer i mean, graphic designer, artist, film-maker and all those other creative type people. heh)

however, i grew up in a PC household. Now, we kids have pretty much all left the religion we were raised in, and we have different values than our parents in a lot of areas.... EXCEPT COMPUTER CHOICE! its very weird, but i've tried, and i can't get macs to work for me. its like they know i'm the enemy...


 
mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 20 08:35:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mac users are so high and mighty with their foamy lattes and knowing smiles, it just makes me wanna....


Where the hell is the evil force that killed off Betamax, HD and Nikola Tesla?




 
mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 20 08:44:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  PS intuitive machines=

Butlerian Jihad

(or Skynet for the kids)


 
kurohyou Posted: Fri Apr 4 20:31:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>kurohyou said:
>>I got a commendation today for pulling a suicidal individual off of a second floor railing before he had a chance to jump off of it on Monday night... Kinda cool.
>>
>
>
>I had to chuckle at this... Not that there's anything funny about suicide, and I'm really proud of you, but jumping from a second floor just seems like really poor planning.
>
>I'm glad you were there to help him. Congratulations on the commendation!

I told my Capt i really just thought he would have broken his legs, though had he landed on his head that could have been bad. But its all good.

Not that it matters...


 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]