Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Comedy ass a subversive force
mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 20 06:06:36 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Comedy is important, it's a true fact that without comedy there'd be no rock music, breakfast ceral or democracy. This can't be refuted i read it in a book i wrote.

Anyway all that aside, what are you favourite funny things, from books, comedians, TV shows, plays, films, musicians etc.

no particular order and it doesn;t ahve to be exhaustive, try and limit it to ten to stop it getting... well... silly.

PS I KNOW IT SAYS ASS IN THE TITLE

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 20 06:52:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anyway this is a hastily assembled list (am in work hehe)

1. Billy Connolly, amazing scots comedian and banjophonist.

2. bill Bailey, amazing English comedian and musician.

3. Bill Hicks, y'know the guy who did Dennis Leary jokes before him.

4. The Big Lebowski, made me laugh to beat the band.

5. Father Ted- best Irish comedy show ever, please see- those cows are really small and those cows are really far away for example. Ben Folds recently covered the theme tune.

6. Black Adder- My childhood comedy of choice, used to watch it with my dad, Black Adder 4 has saddest/greatest ending to a comedy show ever.

7. Peep Show- Funniest new Brit com since the office with the added comedic genius of being able to read their thoughts

8. Stuff Happens- David Hare, A comedy play about the events leading up to the Iraq war. (Great to hear Cheney saying the lines- "I'm so hungry i could eat a baby through the bars of a crib")

9. Tom Lehrer- 60s piano playing maths genius who did some hysterically funny and sometimes political rag time songs such as send in the marines, who's next and posioning pigeons in the park. Christophe, i recommend national Brotherhood week to you.

10. Kurt Vonnegut- No man has consistently tickled my bonus hilarius as much as old Kurt (god rest his soul), he's the greatest American patriot ever to have lived

10a. Dave Allen- The Irish comedian "People ask me are you the guy with half a finger, and i say no, i'm the guy with nine and a half fingers."

(sorry got carried away)

libra Posted: Thu Mar 20 11:18:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My list:

1. Dave Eggers (the perfect man): he's so hilarious, while at the same time identifying all the things that this generation is dealing with and being incredibly accurate in his depictions.

2. Kurt Vonnegut - stealing from mat

3. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart: they make the decline of America just so hilarious.

4. Monty Python - holy grail is one of my favorites

5. Douglas Adams - loved hitchhiker's guide, etc.

Why aren't there more funny women?
I tend to not be interested in comedy that much (I think that's why most of the comedy I like is kind of sad at its heart--or its a clever critique.)

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Thu Mar 20 12:46:40 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This guy!
--> Jeff Dunham

http://nl.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+dunham&search_type=

Ahriman Posted: Thu Mar 20 14:01:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lewis Black

Mel Brooks

Anthony Bourdain

Demetri Martin

DanSRose Posted: Fri Mar 21 09:00:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Brian Regan!
Eddie Izzard
Lewis Black
Bob Saget
Penn & Teller

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 21 09:11:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We all know Bono made some admirable charity acts and we give him praise for that. But sometimes, even the best of us have to suffer! Here’s what happened in one of their shows:

At a recent U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland, he asked the audience for total quiet.

Then, in the silence, he started to slowly clap his hands, once every few seconds. Holding the audience in total silence, he said into the microphone, “Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies.”

From the front of the crowd a voice with a broad Scottish accent pierced the quiet …

“Well, fuckin stop doin it then, ya evil bastard!”

addi Posted: Fri Mar 21 11:35:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>“Well, fuckin stop doin it then, ya evil bastard!”

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp

this is one of those made up internet stories that's long since been well publized as total bogus. It never happened. Some Bono hater though has gotten a good laugh at all the suckers there are eatin' internet fiction up as fact.
Much like addi liking sheep : )

Nothing personal, hiffer ; )

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 21 11:59:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>“Well, fuckin stop doin it then, ya evil bastard!”
>
>http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp
>
>this is one of those made up internet stories that's long since been well publized as total bogus. It never happened. Some Bono hater though has gotten a good laugh at all the suckers there are eatin' internet fiction up as fact.
>Much like addi liking sheep : )
>
>Nothing personal, hiffer ; )
>
Never thought about whether or not it was true. I just thought it was funny.
Found it through Stumble upon.

FN Posted: Fri Mar 21 15:49:26 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  1) urbanus

2) hans teeuwen

3) pablo francisco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Q83I0Nyvc&feature=related

Try and find the guy's shows, he has awesome stuff

DanSRose Posted: Fri Mar 21 22:31:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh yeah!
Ricky Gervais! The podcasts are pretty darn awesome

Kira Posted: Fri Mar 21 22:35:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Terry Pratchett.

Charlie Chaplin - just saw one of his films for the first time last week and thought it was hilarious.

Tom Hanks, as in the real person - I like watching an interview of Tom Hanks as much as, if not more than, watching one of his films. He's wonderfully funny and so smart.

And seconding Dan - Penn and Teller.

FN Posted: Sat Mar 22 12:27:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>Oh yeah!
>Ricky Gervais

Ofcourse

misszero Posted: Mon Mar 24 05:16:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  1. the mighty boosh. i made the pretty serious (hrm) claim today that it's my favourite comedy show ever.

2. having psuedo-fights with my housemate. he and i express our affection for each other by calling each other names (and playing Wii. lol) I find it really funny.

3. never told him i told you this, but my boss is pretty funny. in a really dumb way (like calling one of our co-workers bones... and when i asked why, he explained it has something to do with Star Trek. And then they had a nerd off)

4. my little sister. she's a drunken hilarious fool.

yeah, 4'll do for now.

choke Posted: Tue Mar 25 20:32:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

Have you ever heard of Black Books? You might like it.

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 27 05:07:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>1. the mighty boosh. i made the pretty serious (hrm) claim today that it's my favourite comedy show ever.

Fuck yeah the Boosh is awsome.

Soup Soup
Tasty Soup Soup
Spicy carrot and corriander
Chilli chowder
Crouton Crouton
Crunch friends in a liquid broth
I am gespatchio Oh!
I am a summer soup Mmmm!

People are gonna start thinking i'm weird

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 27 05:08:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>mat_j said:
>
>Have you ever heard of Black Books? You might like it.

Black Books is amazing, Dylan Moran rocks!!

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 31 08:45:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>DanSRose said:
>>Oh yeah!
>>Ricky Gervais
>
>Ofcourse

Ah yes the fat bloke from Reading, he is indeed a funny motherfucker.

misszero Posted: Sun Apr 27 03:27:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>People are gonna start thinking i'm weird

haha, no! its like a tradition set in stone at my workplace that if you can reply to anything with a boosh quote, YOU MUST DO SO. my favourite is referring to anything as 'hottest you can get'

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]