Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

sleep
beetlebum Posted: Thu Mar 20 15:04:11 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i haven't gotten more than ten hours of sleep this week. i don't know what my deal is! if i can't sleep because i'm upset about things, i don't think those things are going to change for awhile so i need to find some other way to catch some rest. (but also, i don't think that i'm that upset about anything. i've been much more upset in my life and stressed out and still slept like a baby.)

any advice?

libra Posted: Thu Mar 20 15:36:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know what you mean. Sometimes I've been upset and fallen asleep fine, other times even little things will keep me awake. (and then i start to worry about not sleeping, which keeps me up even longer!)

I've heard of all those techniques - counting, getting up and doing something else until you feel tired again. I generally just try really hard to think about something else. I guess exercising like crazy to tire yourself out could work.

Good luck.

Kira Posted: Thu Mar 20 17:14:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I often have good luck with reading - I can't tell you how many times I've been reading in the middle of the day and felt my eyes getting heavy (although that's partly due to having unhealthy sleep habits anyway). It has to be something kind of dull, though. No mystery thrillers or what have you.

I find that just a lot of thinking in general, not necessarily excited or worried thinking, is my worst obstacle to falling asleep. I sometimes have to sort of replace "worded" thoughts with thoughts that are mainly pictures, if that makes any sense. It seems to help, but then again I always have nights when I've no idea what's wrong, I just can't get the REM I need. :(

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 20 18:11:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Drugs always did the trick for me.

Posted: Thu Mar 20 21:03:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  either read a book that you are absolutely not interested in, or else, NyQuil.

Ahriman Posted: Fri Mar 21 01:03:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just block everything out. Complete blackness. Bam. Asleep.

Mesh Posted: Fri Mar 21 01:15:32 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Counting, and picturing the numbers in my head works for me sometimes.

Or get a sunburn. For some reason, sunburns make me sleepy as helllllllllll for a few days.

Not really, obviously I'm not suggesting you go out and damage your skin just for some z's. Just thought it's kind of interesting that it does that.

If you get really desperate I guess Nyquil or benadryl. Though the sleep you get from that is not the sleep your brain needs, just like drunken sleeping.

And since there is a subject on sleeping, I'm reading a book right now called Sleep Thieves by Stanley Coren, it's pretty interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Thieves-Stanley-Coren/dp/0684831848

libra Posted: Fri Mar 21 02:23:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>
>
>Or get a sunburn. For some reason, sunburns make me sleepy as helllllllllll for a few days.
>
>Not really, obviously I'm not suggesting you go out and damage your skin just for some z's. Just thought it's kind of interesting that it does that.
>

you make me smile

addi Posted: Fri Mar 21 06:11:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Watched an interesting segment on 60 Minutes last week on sleep, and how important it is to mental and physical well being. Researchers have discovered people deprived of the period of deep sleep over just a few days (about 100 minutes a night) do much worse on memory tests, and their judgement suffers on doing basic skills. They also found a connection to a part of our brains that makes us think we're hungry, so many will gain weight.
Unfortunately most of the show focused on why it's so important and what the negative side affects are when we don't get enough sleep. It didn't say much on the best ways to get a good night sleep.
They did point out that younger people (teens) tend to need 9 to 10 hours of sleep a night, and that they have an easier time getting the beneficial deep sleep that's critical. As we get older the average time we stay in deep sleep lessens, and thats bad for the body on many levels.

So my advice: Get exersize daily (yoga, running, tennis, sex, biking, judo, whatever), try not to worry excessively or go to sleep with a high stress level, and most important, stay young!
: )

beetlebum Posted: Fri Mar 21 15:20:36 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thank you so much everyone. i will try to report back on how all of these methods work for me, minus the nyquil/sudafed, because i have the opposite reaction to those medications... i can't take them because they elevate my heart rate and i'm awake all night! i've heard of other people having the same problem. lame.

sweet p Posted: Sat Mar 22 22:26:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  actually, i've battled this problem for years now.
breathing exercises work, i swear.
but i mostly use i ching methods. i have a specific mp3 i could send you. if you listen along to it [on earphones] in bed with your eyes closed, it relaxes you and helps to get your brain waves to the alpha level [just before sleep] and then sleep comes naturally after that. i try to only use it when i really really need it so it never fails.
if you're interested, let me know and i'll send it over!

everyday_daisy Posted: Sun Mar 23 07:00:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I blast some music, dance to it

and eventually get tired!

FN Posted: Sun Mar 23 08:56:43 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I suggest full frontal nudity followed extatic monkey-like sexcapades.

I know all I do afterwards is fall asleep like a smiling block of wood, dreaming of the next sexcapade.

That's how real men do it

Ahriman Posted: Sun Mar 23 09:51:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>wood

*snickers*

wood

addi Posted: Sun Mar 23 10:36:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  everyday_daisy said:
>I blast some music, dance to it

you mean dancing like the guy in Christophe's avatar?

FN Posted: Sun Mar 23 11:45:46 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>everyday_daisy said:
>>I blast some music, dance to it
>
> you mean dancing like the guy in Christophe's avatar?

That's The Dude, addi.

Get your hands on a dvd of "The Big Lebowski", one of my all-time favourites

Posted: Sun Mar 23 16:16:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>addi said:
>>everyday_daisy said:
>>>I blast some music, dance to it
>>
>> you mean dancing like the guy in Christophe's avatar?
>
>That's The Dude, addi.
>
>Get your hands on a dvd of "The Big Lebowski", one of my all-time favourites

The dude abides.

in a strange coincidence, I just watched it for the first time last week. I can't believe the Coens went from The Big Lebowski to No Country for Old Men in just a decade.

libra Posted: Sun Mar 23 16:35:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

>
>The dude abides.
>

My boyfriend got a custom doormat for christmas that says that on it. its very cool

beetlebum Posted: Mon Mar 24 00:21:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  last night i listed to an album that took me back to a very specific and lovely time in my life and i fell right asleep.

but p, i might need those breathing exercises. when you get a moment, please email me the mp3. cheers! :)

sweet p Posted: Mon Mar 24 00:31:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh, hello.
i am going to come on msn and see if you are there, right now.

beetlebum Posted: Mon Mar 24 01:05:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so this is still on the topic of sleep, but in a roundabout way. do any of you have songs that take you to a certain time and place and never fail to do so? like, you could never make a new memory with that song because the old one is just too ingrained?

i remember my third year of undergraduate university i was living in a house in oxford and my window faced the garden but also the street which was just to the left of the garden, and since all of my friends lived in houses around me, i used to do my work at my desk in the window and sometimes i would space out and just watch people coming and going on the street. and more often than not i would see one of my friends and i would open the window (if it wasn't already) and shout to them to come up for tea or a beer or whatever, depending on the time of day. and i think that was also during the time that i got norah jones' album as a gift and while it was not what i was used to listening to, i really grew to love that album.

so now whenever i hear that album, i think of the breeze coming through the window and watching for my friends to come and go in the neighbourhood. and at night i would sit in front of the window at my desk and read by the desklight, usually a crappy mystery novel or whatever, before i went to bed. and so whenever i hear her song 'the long day is over' or 'nightingale' i always think of sitting in front of the window at night with the curtains mostly shut but leaving just enough room between the curtain panels to feel the breeze through the window, and listening to that song. and then i'd fall quickly asleep because those days were filled with only a little hard work, a lot of mucking about, some sunshine and alot of rain, good friends, and contentment.

and right now i'm listening to that song and feeling so sleepy. and i know that no matter how much i listen to the song now, if i stop listening to the song and then start listening again in two years, i won't be reminded of my sleepless nights now, but instead i'll forever be reminded of sitting in front of that window and how good it felt to have those friends and be in that place and sitting in front of that window and enjoying that view at that exact moment, like, you know, life couldn't possibly get any better than it already was and i was completely content.

sometimes i expect to feel sad when i think of really great memories like that, but i never do. usually i just feel really happy and grateful. and i think those are good feelings to have tumbling around in my heart and head when i'm falling asleep.

anyway, i hope i'm not the only who has songs like that.

misszero Posted: Mon Mar 24 04:59:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i used to listen to cd's on my discman because my flatmate used to be really really loud during sex, and it was really awkward. And then, when i wanted to get to sleep, i'd have to put on Kid A, because i decided it was the most mellow album i had (or something). And it still works, i had trouble getting to sleep a few weeks ago, and i put it on. I usually start to be a bit dozey by 'how to disappear completely', half asleep around 'idioteque' and gone by the end. it always gives me really emotional dreams though, and i find i often can't let go of those feelings in the morning without some time to de-compress. It sucks when i dream about fighting with my housemates, cos i wake up and they're there, and i have to remind myself that i only DREAMT that they're mean. hehe

addi Posted: Mon Mar 24 07:45:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>so this is still on the topic of sleep, but in a roundabout way.

I just got sleepy reading that post
: )

(just kidding, Bbum)

I find that if I put on a cd of classical music and then get comfortable listening to it I'll usually have to start fighting the onset of heavy eyelids within 10 minutes.

I know what you mean though about specific songs transporting you to past times, or to certain memories of people. There are a few people here that I always think of when I hear certain songs...for reasons that aren't always easy to explain.
If I hear Nick Drake I think of you, Meg. If I hear Destiny by Zero Seven Sweet P always comes to mind. When I listen to Eva Cassity, or anything by Over the Rhine I think of Hiffer. Dream Within A Dream, by Propoganda reminds me of Christophe. In a Manner of Speaking always brings suenos to mind. The Blower's Daughter will always bring Breeze to mind, and Cayman Islands makes me think of mr. maroon.

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 24 08:49:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>Christophe said:
>>wood
>
>
>
>*snickers*
>
>
>...
>
>
>wood

Ahriman! Wood, that's a terrible word, wood.

libra Posted: Mon Mar 24 13:08:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>so this is still on the topic of sleep, but in a roundabout way. do any of you have songs that take you to a certain time and place and never fail to do so? like, you could never make a new memory with that song because the old one is just too ingrained?
>
>
>anyway, i hope i'm not the only who has songs like that.
>

I know what you mean, I definitely have songs like that.
The problem is that a lot of them remind me of specific things I've done with my boyfriend (there was one CD that we listened to repeatedly while driving down to Long Beach a few years ago). And so I think that if we were ever to break up, those songs would be hard to listen to because they always remind me of him.

Dancer Posted: Tue Mar 25 23:59:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I really can't offer any advice,in fact i'm reading all your suggestions for a good night's sleep.

I haven't been sleeping well for a good number of years (i can't believe i haven't seek help yet) i often dream and can even remember them clearly each time after i wake up, so that actually equals to not been sleeping, and so i suspect i have a high REM, and i get sleep paralysis every now and then, and it kinda freaks me out sometimes..

you'll know when you see my eyebags :(

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 27 04:57:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lebowski rules, i can have hour long conversations with some of my friends and never deviate from script lines and paraphrased script lines of this movie, most of the time people don't even notice.

As for sleep, as one of GT's foremost, former (2 years baby!) insomniacs. I recommend an evening walk to unwind your body and a good read to unwind your mind.

Listen to the kind of music you could imagine over the end of a satisfying movie if you find normal sleepytime music unhelpful, i think it helps put a closure on your day.

sex also helps, or a bit of 'self help' time too, don't listen to Hif when he says filming it will help you sleep, that's just for his secret underground library.

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 27 04:59:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh and if you have any, pay a couple of bills, that always takes a load off your mind!

FN Posted: Thu Mar 27 13:37:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>sex also helps
>pay a couple of bills, that always takes a load off your mind!

Naughty!

mat_j Posted: Fri Mar 28 06:13:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>mat_j said:
>>sex also helps
>...
>>pay a couple of bills, that always takes a load off your mind!
>
>
>Naughty!

For what fornication or avoiding her majesties postal service?

Mesh Posted: Fri May 16 05:13:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Speaking of sleeping, guess what I've not done and I have to work today(in four hours).

God Damnit! Who thought it was a good idea to get me all riled up for funtime partytime at midnight!?!?!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]