Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

Limbo Land
addi Posted: Thu May 8 18:38:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lost my job this past Monday. They company hasn't been doing great and the came in the Atlanta division and said pack up and goodbye to all of us just like that. The San Diego office was shut down as well. Si x plus years with these folks and "Bam"..it's over.
Kinda scarey now actually. I'm no spring chicken anymore, and gos help me, but I do so detest the whole application interviewing BS I'm now facing.

Anyhoo..now looking for sympathy folks. Lots of folks all over the globe have it ten times worse than I do. Just passing it on cuz your my online family, and it's probably going to affect my presence here until I'm back on my feeties again.


 
addi Posted: Thu May 8 18:39:32 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  shit addi. do a proof read before you post something. Sorry about all the typos.


 
libra Posted: Thu May 8 18:52:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aww addi...I am sorry. But, that said, you're a talented and smart guy, I'm sure someone will be happy to hire you!


 
addi Posted: Thu May 8 21:44:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Aww addi...I am sorry. But, that said, you're a talented and smart guy, I'm sure someone will be happy to hire you!

Thank you, libra. I'll land on my two feet somehow. It's a damn shame though that I just missed the maximun age limit to be a Chippendale dancer.
: )


 
Posted: Thu May 8 21:53:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Weird coincidence, just finished reading this article about 3 minutes ago:

http://www.expatsoftware.com/articles/2008/05/laid-off-one-thing-you-absolutely-need.html


Send us a postcard from Thailand :). or Cape Town!


 
Mesh Posted: Thu May 8 22:08:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm sorry, Addi. I've been laid off the same way, and it's pretty scary. Took me three months to find a new job afterwards(I could have landed some shit job for $6 an hour, sure. But we all know this...). There were just SOOO many highly qualified people with tons of experience out applying to the same jobs.

Don't worry yourself too much on it just yet. Maybe take a few days or so and just savor your new freedom. Sleep in late, go to the park and walk around on a nice afternoon, spend some time in a bookstore browsing books, sip a cup of joe at an outdoors cafe.


 
Kira Posted: Thu May 8 22:31:25 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Now you can be a cartoonist! Yeah man get drawing and publish those babies.

{I'm not being flippant I really think you should do it.}


 
jennemmer Posted: Thu May 8 22:42:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Best of luck addi!


 
Mark Posted: Fri May 9 02:30:06 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thatís nasty. A friend of mine once told me that everything will always turn out fine, one way or another. And she was right. I hope you can find some comfort in those words. It is good to see though you havenít lost your sense of humor :) Keep the faith, my same named friend.


 
choke Posted: Fri May 9 06:57:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Do you get a couple weeks to finish up? Surely they wouldn't just drop you on the same day? That's rough!


 
addi Posted: Fri May 9 07:29:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  After I put this on I immediately thought "D'oh!", and regreted doing it. But after reading these responses I'm glad I did now actually. Thanks for the well wishes, and ideas everyone. I feel the love : )

Crim: Can't do the world travelor thing, but I smiled reading it. If I was single and didn't have the responsibilites of mortgage payments (among other things) I'd definately consider it. Wrong time of the year for Thailand, but Africa, South America, or Monti Carlo would be a hoot.

Mark: Have to keep a sense of humor or I'd wilt. Besides males with our names always land on our feet eventually...right hiffer?

Jenn: This is what happens to people that major in humanities instead of becoming scientists : )

Mesh: That was one of the reasons I hestitated to start this thread...because it happens all the time to people, including friends here, so there's nothing unique about it and I feared it smacked of self-pity. I am trying to keep in mind when I start feeling bad that things could be much much worse.

Kira: It's downright spooky what you wrote because in the dark recesses of my mind I've thought exactly the same thing...and I've been trying to repress those thoughts. A close friend of mine thinks I should do the same thing. But it scares the bajeebuz out of me to be honest. When I did that in the past it seemed like it was either sink or swim with $$ coming in: a few good months and then a drought, and back and forth. It was stressful, but I was doing what I loved...and then the son came along (along with growing monthly bills), and changed everything. I had to be responsible and help provide as a husband and father, so I essentially left cartooning and got a "normal" job, with a regular income.
I think what I'm going to try this time around is a compromise of sorts; finding a full time job, but get back (slowly) into that field by testing the waters once again..starting with getting a site up once more where I can put up my work. And then see what develops from that.
Thank you for the sincere suggestion.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 9 07:58:36 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>Mark: Have to keep a sense of humor or I'd wilt. Besides males with our names always land on our feet eventually...right hiffer?
>
So far I've only landed on one foot.
Still waiting to get the other one planted firmly. but it will happen.


>Kira: It's downright spooky what you wrote because in the dark recesses of my mind I've thought exactly the same thing...and I've been trying to repress those thoughts. A close friend of mine thinks I should do the same thing. But it scares the bajeebuz out of me to be honest. When I did that in the past it seemed like it was either sink or swim with $$ coming in: a few good months and then a drought, and back and forth. It was stressful, but I was doing what I loved...and then the son came along (along with growing monthly bills), and changed everything. I had to be responsible and help provide as a husband and father, so I essentially left cartooning and got a "normal" job, with a regular income.
>I think what I'm going to try this time around is a compromise of sorts; finding a full time job, but get back (slowly) into that field by testing the waters once again..starting with getting a site up once more where I can put up my work. And then see what develops from that.
>Thank you for the sincere suggestion.
>
Be sure to let us know when you get it up. (no pun intended)



 
Ahriman Posted: Fri May 9 08:44:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Make use of the internet like it's your job finding whore. Beef the resume up. Send it out with a vengeance. Don't give up, don't slow down.


 
jennemmer Posted: Fri May 9 09:28:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>Jenn: This is what happens to people that major in humanities instead of becoming scientists : )

Sadly there is a lot of this going around for us too right now - but not for students fortunately, they'll take all the cheap labor they can get.

I'm with Kira on the cartooning idea - even if its only an 'on the side' thing.


 
addi Posted: Fri May 9 14:04:25 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Be sure to let us know when you get it up. (no pun intended)


lol! I promise you'll be the first to know : )

Ahriman: you had me at whore.

Jenn: If I give the toons a try again (it's a BIG if), then it would have to be on the side this time. Too irresponsible of me to do it any other way. Sadly, I think I'm finally maturing. ; )

Thanks, ya'll


 
Mesh Posted: Fri May 9 20:44:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>
>
>Mesh: That was one of the reasons I hestitated to start this thread...because it happens all the time to people, including friends here, so there's nothing unique about it and I feared it smacked of self-pity. I am trying to keep in mind when I start feeling bad that things could be much much worse.
>
>.


Not at all, bro. It does happen, but not to everyone, and not all at once. It definitaley is a life event I would consider worthy of posting a topic about in an online forum which has grown into a rather tight knit "family". And I didn't get a sense of self-pity at all, my friend.


"Hold your head up, hold your head up
Hold your head up, hold your head high"*

Keep us updated mang!



*Sorry. Sorryyyyy, I just really like that song.



 
addi Posted: Sat May 10 07:25:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:

>"Hold your head up, hold your head up
>Hold your head up, hold your head high"*

Argent, I believe. Great song.


 
marsi Posted: Sat May 10 13:07:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Now you can be a cartoonist! Yeah man get drawing and publish those babies.
>
>{I'm not being flippant I really think you should do it.}

My thoughts exactly... I loved your cartoons and I miss Ludwig. There were times when I checked this forum just to see if there were a new cartoon for your avatar...


 
~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat May 10 14:52:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry to hear Addi!

I hope everything turns out for the best and it wouldn't be such a crazy idea to go for the cartoons :)


 
addi Posted: Sun May 11 07:57:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks marsi and JI. Not to worry, Ludwig is still around. I had to ground him from the internet after his incident with the Olsen Twins, but that's another story.

My first priority now is to find employment with a regular job. I can't afford unrealistic dreams at this point in life. When I was much younger I still had that "I can do anything" mindset about life. Without sounding too melodramatic, the passing years have a way of eroding youthful idealistic hopes. I'm not nearly ready for the old folks home and a rocking chair, but my expectations and outlook on what I can and can't realistically do now have been reeled in.
Pursueing drawing as any means of an income is now lower on my priority list. My first step most likely will be to finally get a domain name and build a site, so at least I have something available online to use as a reference. I'll have to wait and see what develops after that.

hugs


 
Aeon Posted: Sun May 11 22:37:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Why don't you pitch a GT inspired cartoon? I mean, it's high time the world knew about this seeming cesspool of amazing.


 
webmaster Posted: Mon May 12 12:35:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>>Pursueing drawing as any means of an income is now lower on my priority list. My first step most likely will be to finally get a domain name and build a site, so at least I have something available online to use as a reference. I'll have to wait and see what develops after that.

You will do well anywhere, Addi, I have no doubt. If there is anything I can help you with should you start a website, I'll be offended if you didn't look for me. I can't design to save my life but I'm quite the kickass programmer.


 
addi Posted: Mon May 12 22:27:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  webmaster said:

>You will do well anywhere, Addi, I have no doubt. If there is anything I can help you with should you start a website, I'll be offended if you didn't look for me. I can't design to save my life but I'm quite the kickass programmer.

I can design, but I can't program to save my life, so I guess we're a good match, JQ. : )

Thank you for the generous offer. It's very thoughtful of you. If I need assistance/imput I promise you'll be the first I contact...it's never good to offend the "architect".


 
FN Posted: Tue May 13 12:33:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sell your hair to stuff pillows!

Another problem solved by your truly.


 
addi Posted: Tue May 13 13:19:48 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Another problem solved by wonder boy.

: )


*going through old drawings on a burnt cd. Will be recycling some old Ludwig stuff in my avatars while I work on a new toon site.


 
marsi Posted: Tue May 13 14:49:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>*going through old drawings on a burnt cd. Will be recycling some old Ludwig stuff in my avatars while I work on a new toon site.

Excellent. :-))


 
mat_j Posted: Wed May 14 03:25:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Good man Addi, don't hold back, as a man who works a mundane job whilst supporting his dream (until i get that big fat paycheque of course) I salute thee.

If you ask me that old job was holding you back, you are entering the undiscovered country now!


 
FN Posted: Wed May 14 10:46:08 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You still have the one with ludwig and the faceless painting?

I liked that one.


 
addi Posted: Wed May 14 11:23:08 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>If you ask me that old job was holding you back, you are entering the undiscovered country now!

yeah..and that undiscovered country looks a lot like Mordor
: )

Christophe...yes, I have it. Won't be posting it though. Too many sad memories associated with it.


 
iggy Posted: Wed May 14 15:50:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hang in there buddy.

*manly hugs*

sometimes the best things in life happens when u move on.

i loved the old company where i worked a year plus back but had creative differences with the bosses, but stayed on cos of my colleagues turned best friends. and then the quality of work suffered due to my unhappiness.

we had a meeting and i decided it's time for me to move on. and since then it's been good.

so i hope u will find a better one that you will love soon

:)

btw, i kinda see the chanz booze in ur avatar. it's funny :)
oh yeah, i quit alcohol for the past one year or so. other than occasional post-dive beer (just one!) i don't drink at all these days :)






 
addi Posted: Wed May 14 17:24:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mister maroon said:

>btw, i kinda see the chanz booze in ur avatar. it's funny :)

good eye, chan. Thanks for the well wishes. And good for you for staying away from the devil's brew for so long. Lately I've done just the opposite and started desiring a gin and tonic every night. Must be the stress.


So I'm going to use you folks here as my test dummies for feedback and help. Since any publication of my work is strickly for just having a place to refer friends and possible potential businesses to I decided that all I needed was a free site without all the bells and whistles (I'm not selling any work, just selling myself, an online portfolio so to speak).

So I tried about four different places and ran into all sorts of problems with each one (because I'm a computer idiot on web design). I settled on free space at Google and it was going fine until I tried to add more pics and move them...it didn't work. I even created a "new page" for the site but after I publish it to the web and view my home page there's no link to my second page : (

There is nothing new to see that you haven't already had a look at....Sorry. Only about 4 pieces up right now and it's extremely simple in design...which is how I prefer it. I'm planning on adding other work (possibly past ad work and greeting cards and a sample political cartoon) once I get them scanned and figure out how to do it.
For the time being anything that jumps out at you as troublesome or aesthetically wrong, or any technical assistance on how to put more pics on and arrange them would be helpful. I don't have a clue how to use html for advanced design work.
thanks

*my email in case you need it: addison555@gmail.com

http://addison555.googlepages.com/home


 
breeze Posted: Wed May 14 17:56:26 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm sorry to hear that.. I agree with what most of the people said - it might be time to finally do what you love. Your son is old enough now and you can focus on things you love doing.. I think that everything happens for a reason and if this happened it means something better is awaiting you down the road. it might be scary right now, but no great success was ever achieved without any risk. You just need to believe in yourself and your talent, because we all here believe in you.

good luck..


 
addi Posted: Wed May 14 19:16:48 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thanks Aliy...Breeze : )
I appreciate the support...really.

This is going to sound much more negative than I mean it to (I know people here are sincere in their support of me, including you), but all the "go for it" encouragement is so much easier said than done...for so many reasons. I'll outline just a few of them...

1. I'm not 25 anymore. I'm not on my own. If I make the valiant effort and fail (a very real possibilty) then it's not just me that's affected. It's a huge factor in deciding things like this.

2. The trend in the cartoon business is on a downward spiral. People may think it's going great guns because of all the cartoons they see on the interenet, but those don't play the bills...they're 99% "I'm doing this for the fun of it" creations, while the creator is out working a full time job as a dishwasher. The fact is that newspapers are slowly dying. The days of the Charles Schultzs, Larsons, Wattersons and big $$ from the syndicates are fading. I have contacts in the business. I just read about two different pulitzer prize political cartoonists (one here and one in canada)losing their jobs due to cutbacks. It's happening all over.

3. The hard fact about any field in art, writing, acting, or music is that even if you're gifted it takes a lot of luck to get anywhere. I'm not far off the mark when I say that out of all the thousands of people giving it their best shot in these fields only maybe 1 or 2% are able to make a decent living from it.

So is any of the above a valid reason not to pursue a dream? No..not really, not in everybody's situation at least. But it needs to be taken into consideration, and I have to be responsible in the choices I make now. So continuing to look for a full time "normal" job seems to be the most prudent choice to make, along with making the effort to keep my creative work alive....on the side, and with the mindset it's only for my own well-being and not to strike it rich.


Wow..reading back over that is a real downer. I guess life has taken a toll on me after all these years. Time for a gin and tonic with a twist of lime : )

*Behind the wheel now I see. You should get a miata..go for it! ; )



 
addi Posted: Thu May 15 11:23:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If GT had an "edit post" function I would have deleted all of the above and left it at "Thanks Breeze".
Been a bit edgey lately I guess, or as hif likes to say "bitchy" : )

I did manage to figure out how to link pages together after a lot of trial and error. Now I just need to figure out how to import more than 4 images per page without them showing up in weird places on the page.


 
libra Posted: Thu May 15 11:36:46 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I understand where you're coming from, though, Addi...watching friends who have graduated try to find jobs, I have become envious of the engineering majors and other 'practical' specialties who have found jobs far more easily. I guess we all have to find balances between what we want to do and what is available to us.



 
breeze Posted: Thu May 15 11:49:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Agreed, the chances of failure are up there, but if everyone ever stopped from pursuing their dream because you think or others tell you that the chances of you succeeding are nil then let's face it nothing great would ever be achieved. If I let that stop me I wouldn't be where I am right now. I'm working in the industry where the % of women in the office is below 10% in lower levels and singificantly below 1% in the top level executive positions. The latest event I went to, I was one of only ten women among 200+ men (btw, half of these women were spouses and not in the business, so technically the number was even less).

I guess my point is, yes it's going to be tough, yes you might need a job to pay the bills, as long as you don't give up and continue to actively pursue your passion at the same time.

But I hope you will be able to find a job soon though, I hear it's rough out there right now with the current state of the economy. I think you should use your network first, anybody you ever worked with from other firms, see if their companies are hiring - that's usually your best bet as opposed to starting from scratch. If you have good relationship with your boss, meet with him/her for dinner/lunch and see if he/she can refer you to someone.

*Behind the wheel, but i decided to go with a MINI, not a big fan of miata. Just 5 more weeks to go before I finally get mine shipped from UK. Can't wait...


 
FN Posted: Thu May 15 13:03:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  On a totally unrelated note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2YDq6FkVE


 
FN Posted: Thu May 15 13:06:20 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:
>*Behind the wheel, but i decided to go with a MINI, not a big fan of miata. Just 5 more weeks to go before I finally get mine shipped from UK. Can't wait...

You work for Deloitte?

They offered us a Mini if we wanted to srart working there as well. Gay car for a guy.


 
addi Posted: Thu May 15 14:17:06 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:
>I'm working in the industry where the % of women in the office is below 10% in lower levels and singificantly below 1% in the top level executive positions. The latest event I went to, I was one of only ten women among 200+ men

If it helps I've always thought of you as one of the guys.

I'd make a remark about mini's being "girlie" cars, but since I own a miata I can't.

btw...hi breeze. I think I remember you


 
addi Posted: Thu May 15 14:21:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I understand where you're coming from, though, Addi...watching friends who have graduated try to find jobs, I have become envious of the engineering majors and other 'practical' specialties who have found jobs far more easily.

Yup..us humanities people have to sell our souls to get good jobs : )
Thanks, libra.I've already got a few irons in the fire so at least I have some options to delve into more. I think something will work out.

And speaking of doing my art on the side would one of you putzes here give me some feedback on my site link please...thanks


 
breeze Posted: Thu May 15 14:52:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>If it helps I've always thought of you as one of the guys.

thanks, that's definately the way I'm seen in my firm, being the only woman there.

>I'd make a remark about mini's being "girlie" cars, but since I own a miata I can't.

I decided that I had enough of testosterone surrounding me everyday, so I decided to go with something "girlie" - chili red MINI.


>btw...hi breeze. I think I remember you

Hi addi.. yeah it's been a while.


 
breeze Posted: Thu May 15 15:03:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>You work for Deloitte?
>
>They offered us a Mini if we wanted to srart working there as well. Gay car for a guy.

No, I work for a private equity fund and unfortunately for me noone is giving out anything out here and I had to buy it myself... Maybe i'm on the wrong side of the pond.


 
FN Posted: Thu May 15 15:04:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:
>addi said:
>>If it helps I've always thought of you as one of the guys.
>
>thanks, that's definately the way I'm seen in my firm, being the only woman there.

And you just know they're all elbowing eachother and staring at your ass as you walk by.

Classy.


 
breeze Posted: Thu May 15 15:37:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>breeze said:
>>addi said:
>>>If it helps I've always thought of you as one of the guys.
>>
>>thanks, that's definately the way I'm seen in my firm, being the only woman there.
>
>And you just know they're all elbowing eachother and staring at your ass as you walk by.
>
>Classy.

Not that I notice, but frankly, I don't give a damn. As long as they keep paying me big bucks and let me do the job I love. Plus, trust me, noone wants sexual harassment case knocking on their door.


 
addi Posted: Thu May 15 16:19:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:
>thanks, that's definately the way I'm seen in my firm, being the only woman there.

It was meant as a joke. If the men at the firm see you as "one of the guys" then they're either eunichs or gay, or you've gone through some extensive cosmetic surgery.



>Hi addi.. yeah it's been a while.

yup



 
breeze Posted: Thu May 15 17:31:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>breeze said:
>>thanks, that's definately the way I'm seen in my firm, being the only woman there.
>
>It was meant as a joke. If the men at the firm see you as "one of the guys" then they're either eunichs or gay, or you've gone through some extensive cosmetic surgery.


Nither actually, but they are all married with children, so that's why to them I'm just "one of the guys" who can't hold a decent conversation about any american sport, sucks at golf or skiing, but fortunately can kick some ass in financial modeling.


 
mat_j Posted: Fri May 16 06:32:13 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Breeze!

I remember you well, good to have you back amigo.

You're another GTer (like Erikagm) who i never thought we'd see again.

I'm happy you're back.

Addi!

Do or do not there is no try. You may as well give it a shot, at this moment you've got nothing to lose. Do it while you're out of work, build up a portfolio then you won't have to do much when you finally get a job and can start sending 'toons out as your lucretive second income!!




 
addi Posted: Fri May 16 07:52:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Addi!
>
>Do or do not there is no try. You may as well give it a shot, at this moment you've got nothing to lose. Do it while you're out of work, build up a portfolio then you won't have to do much when you finally get a job and can start sending 'toons out as your lucretive second income!!

yes, sir.

I find it impossible to refuse your orders.


 
FN Posted: Fri May 16 10:49:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  breeze said:
>they are all married with children, so that's why to them I'm just "one of the guys"

Oh na√Įvit√© of youth, how I miss your blissful blanket


 
addi Posted: Fri May 16 14:55:37 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Found this to be a good stress reliever. You may too.

http://www.therightfoot.net/mystuff/whatever/swf/bubblewrap.swf


 
choke Posted: Fri May 16 19:47:40 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I couldn't find the feedback link on the site, but those cartoons are funny! The ones that made me chuckle most were the dance gang one and the wolf re introduction one :D


 
addi Posted: Fri May 16 20:00:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I couldn't find the feedback link on the site, but those cartoons are funny! The ones that made me chuckle most were the dance gang one and the wolf re introduction one :D


there isn't one yet...still under construction. Thanks though for checking it out, tiff.


 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]