Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Something wrong with this picture ?
ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jun 20 03:06:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can't even begin to comment on how ridiculous this is. Talk about government having too much power.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080618/wl_canada_afp/canadachildcourtoffbeat_080618180800

Dancer Posted: Fri Jun 20 05:58:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  the internet itself is an unimaginable power.. to have a daughter suing the father.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jun 20 06:11:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can't imagine any court in America that would even hear this case, not even in San Francisco.
No judge on the planet would be able to tell me I can't ground my child for the transgressions reported in the article above.

Posted: Sat Jun 21 03:50:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I can't imagine any court in America that would even hear this case, not even in San Francisco.

:) cute, but they've done worse.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Jun 21 05:45:33 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and people wonder why i don't want offspring.

this is just pathetic but Crim is right... worse has happened

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Jun 21 11:19:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  As a parent and a grandparent, I can't see much worse than the government telling you how you can and cannot discipline your children. If they can claim the authority to do this, and the people let it happen, then they have given up some of their most basic rights don't you think ?

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Jun 21 11:22:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I can't imagine any court in America that would even hear this case, not even in San Francisco.
>
>
>:) cute, but they've done worse.
>
Mind you I'm not saying our justice system is so much better than Canada's, I'm only using it for comparison since that is what I'm familiar with.
I'm sure worse has happened in both countries, but what is at stake here is tremendous.

Posted: Sat Jun 21 14:40:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>CriminalSaint said:
>>ifihadahif said:
>>>I can't imagine any court in America that would even hear this case, not even in San Francisco.
>>
>>
>>:) cute, but they've done worse.
>>
>Mind you I'm not saying our justice system is so much better than Canada's, I'm only using it for comparison since that is what I'm familiar with.
>I'm sure worse has happened in both countries, but what is at stake here is tremendous.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like that case was tried in a Quebecois provincial appeals court, not a Federal one. Quebec law having different basic tenets than the other provincial and territorial laws (based more off French civil law than English common law), it seems unlikely that this will be the sort of case that sets any sort of a wide precedent, and my gut feeling is that it will set no precedent at all.

mat_j Posted: Wed Jul 2 04:56:41 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Can't we just end the damn race at this generation?

FN Posted: Wed Jul 2 15:21:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm not familiar with the details of law in other countries but my own (and even then it's limited obviously), but I think a huge difference between for example Belgian and US law is that in Belgium there is no such thing as "precedents" in terms of those having any legislative power at all. Maybe it's the same in Canada and that's why people aren't too bothered by it.

To be honest, if it came to this it's probably about more than just being grounded

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]