Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

No News Necessary
Ahriman Posted: Wed Jul 16 05:52:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Can someone be a boss and friend? Is that possible without making things go south in at least one of those?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jul 16 06:40:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's possible, but not very likely.
Only about a one in a million chance it could happen.

addi Posted: Wed Jul 16 08:03:05 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Actually I know it's possible because in my previous job my boss was also my friend. We actually did things together outside of work on several occations. I will say though that in all the jobs I've held in my life that's only happened a few times, and I think it also makes a difference if your boss is the same sex as you or not, for reasons I may or may not explain in a future post : )

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jul 16 10:36:56 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Actually I know it's possible because in my previous job my boss was also my friend. We actually did things together outside of work on several occations. I will say though that in all the jobs I've held in my life that's only happened a few times, and I think it also makes a difference if your boss is the same sex as you or not, for reasons I may or may not explain in a future post : )
>
What is definition of "same sex" ?
That could mean different things to different people.
:-)

addi Posted: Wed Jul 16 16:52:38 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>What is definition of "same sex" ?
>That could mean different things to different people.
>:-)

I'm not sure how you northern southerners define it, but down here it means you both like the same kind of sex.

: )

Mesh Posted: Wed Jul 16 19:06:11 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yes it is possible. My last job my boss also happened to be one of the best friends I've ever had. We're super close, like siblings. Still see her and hang out all the time.

pamela Posted: Wed Jul 16 22:31:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think it depends on the type of job you have. If youíve joined a start up company or youíre in a place where jobs are more immediately interdependent, then it would be easier to have a boss be a close friend: youíre all in it together so at the end of the day itís been a group achievement of sorts. If you're friends in and outside work, the work itself actually benefits. In your standard office setting where individual responsibility and the hierarchy of the chain of command is more spread out I think itís probably less likely to be friends with the boss, and not such a good idea. That being said, personality types can create entirely surprising atmospheres regardless of the type of job. I've been in both situations.

On a side note, yet still work related, this desktop development is pretty interesting Ė still not sure how I feel about it yet though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

cheers!

FN Posted: Thu Jul 17 07:32:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And on a totally unrelated note:

http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/7/wsj-re-draws-headshots-to-reflect-dour-financial-mood

misszero Posted: Thu Jul 17 08:14:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm pretty good friends with more or less all my workmates. we do lunch, dinner, coffee movies.

and also, i've slept in my bosses bed, and he's slept in mine. nothing sexy happened at all, lol. but i'd consider him a good friend.

addi Posted: Thu Jul 17 08:28:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:

>and also, i've slept in my bosses bed, and he's slept in mine.

Now that's a new one. I wonder what the accepted dress code is for sleepovers with the boss? Casual business pajamas?

Aeon Posted: Thu Jul 17 23:55:07 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  As strange as this sounds... I'm a supervisor at my job and I am friends with a bunch of the people that work under me. I think it is just that you need to know that when you're at work, it's work.

misszero Posted: Mon Jul 21 09:23:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well, the dress code appeared to be semi casual. cos i ditched my pantihose and bra (those 2 being the least comfortable things ever) but otherwise remained dressed. man, never ever play drinking games with your boss. he will set out to destroy you.

mat_j Posted: Wed Jul 30 04:17:54 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>well, the dress code appeared to be semi casual. cos i ditched my pantihose and bra (those 2 being the least comfortable things ever) but otherwise remained dressed. man, never ever play drinking games with your boss. he will set out to destroy you.

That's one hell of a good boss, imagine what he can make his employees do in a working environment if he has that effect out of work!

I'd employ you any time B!

misszero Posted: Wed Jul 30 09:04:08 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yes, i know. a colleague remarked to me today that he's never worked in a place where making paedophilic or necrophilic jokes about your bosses family would be responded to by said boss with 'nice one, hahaha.' its almost dangerous how friendly we all are. and also, how much we make fun of each other in really creepy ways.

misszero Posted: Wed Jul 30 09:04:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  p.s. mat j, posting enough? *cough*slut*cough*

addi Posted: Wed Jul 30 10:07:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>p.s. mat j, posting enough? *cough*slut*cough*
LOL!
good one, misszero : )

FN Posted: Wed Jul 30 15:02:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/7/best-solution-to-housing-crisis-start-demolishing-them

But if I say it I'm a nutcase.

mat_j Posted: Thu Jul 31 05:38:05 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>misszero said:
>>p.s. mat j, posting enough? *cough*slut*cough*
>LOL!
>good one, misszero : )

Oh and look who's sticking his oar in as usual!

At least i'm not in bed with JQ sans bra and pantihose ;-P

addi Posted: Thu Jul 31 06:20:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>At least i'm not in bed with JQ sans bra and pantihose ;-P

Well that was just mean!
Anyway I always wear pantihose when in bed with JQ.

misszero Posted: Thu Jul 31 07:38:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you say sans bra and pantihose like its a bad thing...

mat_j Posted: Thu Jul 31 17:22:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh i would discourage the removal of clothing!

mat_j Posted: Thu Jul 31 17:29:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Oh i would discourage the removal of clothing!

To paraphrase British Admiral David Beatty

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody typing today!"

Let's say instead-

Oh i would NEVER discourage the removal of clothing!

addi Posted: Thu Jul 31 18:00:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Oh i would NEVER discourage the removal of clothing!

I always keep my clothes on sharing a bed with a stranger, unless they're Welsh.

*that's bordering on creepy isn't it

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]