Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Bejing Olympics Beginning
addi Posted: Fri Aug 8 15:14:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What are your viewing plans?

A. As much as I possibly can.

B. Yes, but only those sporting events I'm interested in.

C. I'll watch a little of it now and then maybe, but only if there's nothing to do and nothing else good on the tube.

D. I refuse to even watch a minute of it.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Aug 8 16:34:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  E. I'm not sure yet, If tv coverage is decent, then I might watch the sports I'm interested in.
If tv coverage sucks like it has for the last few olympics, then I probably won't watch much.
For me, the last really good tv coverage of the olympics was in Sarajevo. It's been pretty much downhill since then.

Ahriman Posted: Fri Aug 8 17:54:02 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  E. I have no tv

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Aug 8 19:56:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>E. I have no tv
>
Who the hell needs a tv where you live ?

addi Posted: Fri Aug 8 21:55:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can't decide which avatar is more disturbing. Hif's or Christophe's. I guess it's a toss up.

Much as I expected a huge amount of technology and people involved in pulling off the opening ceremonies. I think China is trying to tell us something : )

Mesh Posted: Sat Aug 9 02:16:26 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>I can't decide which avatar is more disturbing. Hif's or Christophe's. I guess it's a toss up.
>
>

Oh my sweet applie pie, definitely hifs. Anything happening to an eye bugs the crap out of me.

And, I'll watch the events I'm interested in.

~Just Imagine~ Posted: Sat Aug 9 08:12:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  C Probably

FN Posted: Sat Aug 9 14:32:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I watched part of the opening, but I'm not interested in the sports part. I don't get what people get out of watching a game instead of playing it themselves.

Anyway, so what about Russia going to war.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Aug 9 17:09:25 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Anyway, so what about Russia going to war.
>
They need the practice.

addi Posted: Sat Aug 9 19:12:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I heard they've invaded Georgia, but I haven't seen any yet.

So far I've watched the opening ceremonies last night, and today I've taken in team handball, indoor volleyball, beach volleyball (woot woot), swimming, cycling, and fencing.
It's a sickness.

*very sad about the tradegy with the couple being stabbed.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Aug 9 19:59:05 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So far the coverage has been excellent.
I've watched women's volleyball, women's soccer, cycling, women's fencing.

The fencing is not all that fun to watch, although the way they use their legs and feet is very impressive.

Gonna watch the swimming tonight.

Russians in Georgia ?
Not to worry, they'll get sick of sweet tea and grits and go back home.

SntSaturn Posted: Sat Aug 9 21:05:44 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't tend to watch the Olympics unless I catch it by accident. Some sporting events are worthwhile.

I did compete in Track and Field in high school at a state level. . . But it's really not that interesting to watch other people do it.

FN Posted: Sat Aug 9 22:39:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What's interesting is that Russia seems to be in it for the oil pipelines running underneath the area with which they could basicly regain enough control over european/us oil supply to somewhat grab both by the balls if they feel like it.

Georgia seems to be pretty confident that because of that US and EU will intervene.

Say what you will though, some huevos grandes on those guys for going to war against Russia and their own secessionist regions by themselves for now, although there'll probably be some arrangements going already.

To give you an idea about the difference in numbers (from the wiki):

Georgia / South Ossetia /Russia

Army 30,000 / 3,000 / 100,000 in the direct region

Tanks 200 / 87/ 620 in the direct region

Aircraft 82/ 0 / 320 in the direct region

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Aug 10 02:57:53 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>What's interesting is that Russia seems to be in it for the oil pipelines running underneath the area with which they could basicly regain enough control over european/us oil supply to somewhat grab both by the balls if they feel like it.
>
Aren't those pipelines full of Russian oil anyway ?

FN Posted: Sun Aug 10 06:46:13 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Aren't those pipelines full of Russian oil anyway ?

Russia would argue it is, others would say it isn't ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan_pipeline

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Aug 10 07:21:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Aren't those pipelines full of Russian oil anyway ?
>
>Russia would argue it is, others would say it isn't ;)
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan_pipeline
>
Didn't Russia control all the oil that passed thru Georgia when Georgia declared their independence ?
I seem to remember that Russia threatened to shut down the pipeline and then backed off from that threat because it was wintertime and too many civilians would have died.

FN Posted: Sun Aug 10 13:22:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I seem to remember that Russia threatened to shut down the pipeline and then backed off from that threat because it was wintertime and too many civilians would have died.

I think you're talking about a different country, Ukraine maybe?

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Aug 10 16:47:33 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I seem to remember that Russia threatened to shut down the pipeline and then backed off from that threat because it was wintertime and too many civilians would have died.
>
>I think you're talking about a different country, Ukraine maybe?
>
Perhaps, I really shouldn't rely on my memory too much these days.
Yeah, it was Ukraine because it was the Orange revolution.

Mesh Posted: Mon Aug 11 02:36:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Shawn Johnson. She's so small and adorable. I just want pinch her little cheeks and buy her an icecream cone at the zoo.

addi Posted: Mon Aug 11 06:30:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And there's no way some of those chinese girl gymnasts are 16. A few looked hard pressed to be 12 years old.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 11 07:28:43 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>And there's no way some of those chinese girl gymnasts are 16. A few looked hard pressed to be 12 years old.
>
mmmmm . . . hard pressed . . .
:-)

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 11 14:09:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I seem to remember that Russia threatened to shut down the pipeline and then backed off from that threat because it was wintertime and too many civilians would have died.
>
>I think you're talking about a different country, Ukraine maybe?
>
It's beginning to look like a big land grab by the Russians now.

But the Georgians need not worry.

The UN security council is going to convene on this matter. Don't you know that is going to have the Russians quaking in their boots.

FN Posted: Mon Aug 11 16:08:36 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/8/dreamworks-retard-scandal-grows-disability-groups-say-r-word-is-hate-speech

Don't skip to it or you won't fully get it, but when I read that last alinea I laughed so hard I cried a little haha

FN Posted: Mon Aug 11 16:57:20 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Anyway, Russia seems to be preparing for a wholescale invasion of Georgia and apparantly have bombed a port through which a lot of the natural resources towards the West are being shipped.

Also quite interestingly, there are several US military people (around 130 from what I read) working in Georgia and helping them train for missions in Iraq and such; I wonder what they're up to.

A while ago there apparantly also was a conflict between Russia and Israel over the fact that Israel was selling georgia "defensive weaponry" and at the same time showing interest to invest in local oil industry.

Meanwhile Ukrainian officials have reported that ships leaving from their ports to attack Georgia "might" be refused access to their ports if they'd wish to return afterwards.

Granted, it sucks people are dying, but this is all pretty interesting.

mat_j Posted: Fri Aug 15 07:20:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What's an Olympics?

addi Posted: Fri Aug 15 08:01:13 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>What's an Olympics?

and where are all the gold medals for Wales?!

sweet p Posted: Fri Aug 15 16:12:08 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i like watching parts of the olympics. maybe just because i've always enjoyed particular sports and even though i really wanted to be in the olympics when i was younger, there is no way i am close to being there now!
i did a lot of gymnastics when i was younger. i loved it until i had a bad landing accident on the vault and cracked my nose. i like watching for the techniques and things but can't sit for too long watching each competitor do their routine.
i'd lie if i said i don't enjoy a good close race. i just like watching bodies and muscles in action i guess? some of these "sports" or "games" are ridiculous though. and it doesn't help that canada rarely offers a good competition in summer sports..

addi Posted: Fri Aug 15 20:09:52 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you bring up a very good point, P. I think it must make a difference if the country you live in has a strong team to send. I can see why you might be more into the winter olympics being from Canada.
Some of the things the gymnists have to do these days to be competitive blows my mind.
I also think it's a bit sad that some countries (won't say which one to avoid being accused of China bashing) literally pulls potential toddlers (3 years old) into certain sports and away from their parents for a childhood dedicated to perfecting that sport, whether they want to or not. It's absurd that glory for the country is put ahead of personal choice.

FN Posted: Fri Aug 15 20:14:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Personally I honestly can't grasp how people feel like "we" or "they" won medals.

It's the athletes who win the medals, people in front of the tv have 0 to do with it as far as I can tell.

If I were at the olympics winning a medal I'd be pretty pissed about people acting like "we" won one instead of I myself and that's it.

FN Posted: Fri Aug 15 20:16:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Quite a lot of granfallooning going on.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Aug 15 21:43:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Personally I honestly can't grasp how people feel like "we" or "they" won medals.
>
>It's the athletes who win the medals, people in front of the tv have 0 to do with it as far as I can tell.
>
>If I were at the olympics winning a medal I'd be pretty pissed about people acting like "we" won one instead of I myself and that's it.
>
The athletes may have won the medals, but "we" paid for it.
:-)

sweet p Posted: Mon Aug 18 03:29:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi, i like that you are using your cartoons as avatars again.
are these new ones?

addi Posted: Mon Aug 18 07:02:35 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>addi, i like that you are using your cartoons as avatars again.
>are these new ones?

Thanks, P. They're relatively new (drawn just about a month or so ago). They are not really meant as stand alone toons, but illustrations to compliment my attempt at humorous writing on a blog page I started.
During the time I lost my work I needed to have a creative outlet to keep my sanity, so I started cartooning again.

Back on topic...
Man. I don't know what they're smoking in Jamaica, but their men and women sure can run fast.

FN Posted: Mon Aug 18 08:08:51 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/8/group-claims-prayers-produced-lower-gas-prices

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]