Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

employment eats everything
Ahriman Posted: Tue Sep 9 08:20:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So I'm thinking about checking out Yosemite National Park as my next career choice. Anyone ever been?

libra Posted: Tue Sep 9 13:20:49 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>So I'm thinking about checking out Yosemite National Park as my next career choice. Anyone ever been?

Yes. It is BEAUTIFUL. And because it is a national park, there are all kinds of restrictions on tourism--which makes it seem kind of wild still - not many big hotels, most people stay in tiny cottages or tents when they come. It's not like Lake Tahoe, which has become so touristy and commercialized. The animals are a little overly friendly, though. I remember being able to walk straight up to a deer when I was about 7, before my mom came and pulled me away.
The waterfalls are gorgeous, and the Ahwahnee Hotel is like something out of Rivendell.

addi Posted: Tue Sep 9 16:50:18 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yosemite is an absolutely gorgeous place. I've only been there once, so I'm obviously no expert, but in contrast to libra's point...it was PACKED with people. I thought I read a few years ago that among our national parks it had the highest annual number of visitors (not sure if that's still true).
Anyhoo it was still worth the visit.

libra Posted: Tue Sep 9 17:56:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Yosemite is an absolutely gorgeous place. I've only been there once, so I'm obviously no expert, but in contrast to libra's point...it was PACKED with people. I thought I read a few years ago that among our national parks it had the highest annual number of visitors (not sure if that's still true).

Yeah, I should have clarified that further...I don't mean there aren't a lot of people there...the restrictions are more on the type of development that can happen. The lodgings all fill up months in advance and I know they are pretty much at capacity except for in the winter...but there's not a strip of Hiltons and Hyatts like in other areas.

PackMan Posted: Tue Sep 9 20:39:26 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yes, it is a packed park. However, most of your larger parks are going to be that way. I suggest if you want to be in that area, but around less people, look into working at King's Canyon or Sequoia National Forest, or any number of the state parks around that area. Either way you go, I am sure it will be a very fulfilling experience.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Sep 9 20:46:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>addi said:
>>Yosemite is an absolutely gorgeous place. I've only been there once, so I'm obviously no expert, but in contrast to libra's point...it was PACKED with people. I thought I read a few years ago that among our national parks it had the highest annual number of visitors (not sure if that's still true).
>
>Yeah, I should have clarified that further...I don't mean there aren't a lot of people there...the restrictions are more on the type of development that can happen. The lodgings all fill up months in advance and I know they are pretty much at capacity except for in the winter...but there's not a strip of Hiltons and Hyatts like in other areas.
>
Our most visited national park is Smoky Mountains. I'm sure that's because of it's proximity to several major population centers.
All of our national parks have zoning restrictions concerning commercial developments. I haven't been to Yosemite yet, but I'll bet that just outside of it's boundaries there is a lot of development going on. That's what I've seen most everywhere I've been.
Inside of the parks, they do a very good job of keeping them up despite the enormous amount of traffic you see in the summertime. We go in the winter to circumvent as much traffic as possible.
Mostly because we don't like people.

PackMan Posted: Tue Sep 9 20:53:40 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, the Smokies have done very well with the amount of traffic because they are mantained by the largest amount of volunteers in the nation as well. I love going there in the late fall/winter as well. But there is not really a whole lot outside of Yosemite, just desert to the south and east, and more mountains to the north. Eventhough development is always a "concern" for those of us who are attempting to conserve our natural resources, the few small hamlets to the east of yosemite are so remote that there is not much in the way of "unchecked" growth...at least not as of two years ago.

addi Posted: Wed Sep 10 07:14:48 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Our most visited national park is Smoky Mountains.
Speaking of that park...I was just there last weekend. They were smokin' too.

>Mostly because we don't like people.
Many people do suck. : )

addi Posted: Wed Sep 10 07:21:32 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  PackMan said:
>Well, the Smokies have done very well with the amount of traffic because they are mantained by the largest amount of volunteers in the nation as well.
Hooray Volunteers! (not the footbal team)

I have to do a double take on you, Packman....forgetting you changed your name from Howitzer. It's just me. I get used to a person's first sign on name and it's hard to shake it. That's why mesh will always be meshie to me, no matter how many name changes he went through.
I think Kira is about the only one still here that's an exception for me.

Btw...where are you these days? Still in the southwest?

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 10 07:41:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm currently right outside of Denali Park.

PackMan Posted: Wed Sep 10 08:39:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah Addi, it is Howitzer, and I am currently in the southeast, finishing my last semester of Civil Engineering at NC State...but soon enough I shall be back out West in either CO or NM. Eventually I want to make my way up to the Seattle area. After I visited that area for a few weeks, I fell in love with it.

addi Posted: Wed Sep 10 10:45:29 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  PackMan said:
>Yeah Addi, it is Howitzer, and I am currently in the southeast, finishing my last semester of Civil Engineering at NC State...but soon enough I shall be back out West in either CO or NM. Eventually I want to make my way up to the Seattle area. After I visited that area for a few weeks, I fell in love with it.

It's hard to keep tabs on you kids ; )
Thanks for the update. Civil engineering is a good practical degree to get..good for you.
Think your idea to "head west young man" is great. All the areas you mentioned would be good places to rest your boots for a spell. Love the pacific northwest too, as long as it's one of the areas that isn't cloudy and gloomy 300 days a year.

*Ahriman...good to know where you are as well. I sleep better at night knowing your whereabouts. Remember: no taunting the grizzlies.

Ahriman Posted: Thu Sep 11 07:40:28 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  drunk

addi Posted: Thu Sep 11 11:04:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nothing more dangerous than a drunk grizzly I say.

unless it's a scorned woman.

Ahriman Posted: Fri Sep 12 09:50:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  drunk...

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Sep 12 11:41:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>drunk...
>
Hey ! who you callin' a drunk ?
That's my friend Addi and he's not a drunk. It just seems that way because he caught something from shagging all those sheep.
:-)

addi Posted: Fri Sep 12 13:12:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Hey ! who you callin' a drunk ?
>That's my friend Addi and he's not a drunk. It just seems that way because he caught something from shagging all those sheep.
>:-)

thanks...I think

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]