Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Do you see superstitious people as less intelligent?
FN Posted: Fri Nov 7 09:26:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Who's voting "no"? lol

Btw, for the sake of simplicity, let's throw religion on the pile of superstition in case we haven't already done so.

mat_j Posted: Fri Nov 7 10:47:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Superstition bugs me.

I'm not superstitious; the reaction to the open umbrella over my head in the living room on the day of my nephews christening was like i'd just let a procession of trident weilding paedophiles, riding on wolves into the house.

Then again i often find myself playing little games in my head i make up to pass the time while walking, when i ask myself why i do it. It's to generate luck, of all the weird things to do eh?

It's like blowing on dice or the gamblers fallacy that, if the dice has landed on black 7 times in a row, next time it must be red.

I think the Human brain finds it hard to accept the random. We grow up in a society 20 fathoms deep in semiotics even ordinary communication includes so many unspoken signifiers it's automatic for people to look for them in purely random events i guess.

FN Posted: Fri Nov 7 11:09:00 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't get why people can't grasp randomness and most of all meaninglessness.

I attribute it to a lack of Nietzsche. That's the stuff schools should be teaching to raise people with healthy mindsets instead of cattle.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Nov 7 12:55:34 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Actually no I don't think superstition or religion makes on less intelligent.

It does however, make them superstitious and/or religious.

libra Posted: Fri Nov 7 14:52:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree with mat. Our brains have evolved to recognize signs as a part of survival and communication, so our brains try to make sense of anything, even if it is random.

Mesh Posted: Sat Nov 8 18:00:19 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>
>I think the Human brain finds it hard to accept the random. We grow up in a society 20 fathoms deep in semiotics even ordinary communication includes so many unspoken signifiers it's automatic for people to look for them in purely random events i guess.
>
>

I read an article on superstition and such in....Scientific american? No, maybe not that. But basically it was talking about the evolutionary need, at least very far back in pre-historic times, for a kind of superstitious mindset.

I really wish I wasn't dead tired and drunk so that I could explain it. It was actually quite interesting.

mat_j Posted: Mon Nov 10 05:43:24 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wisenheimer said:
>mat_j said:

>I read an article on superstition and such in....Scientific american?

Was it in Archie comics?

Nah i'm just joshin' yah, come on Wise, let's get wasted and shoot up jalopy's with a 12 gauge.

addi Posted: Mon Nov 10 07:03:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  For me it depends on the superstitious habits and beliefs.
For example if it's a professional sports player and he feels the need to always go through a particular routine before each game for superstitious reasons then it has no bearing on how how I feel about his intelligence.

If it's someone that lets superstitions guide their life daily on important matters I tend to put them in a "less intelligent" category.

I do think that some highly supertitious people can be very intelligent. It's a bit hard to explain what I mean. I'd call it a "compartmentalized dumbness"..like they are lacking in one area of intelligence, and in other areas that we guage as indicators of intelligence that same superstitious person could be brilliant.
As always, it's never black and white for me.

beetlebum Posted: Tue Nov 11 18:35:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I see your mum as less intelligent.

addi Posted: Tue Nov 11 22:17:32 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My mum isn't superstitious...she's super religious, and I guess that's somewhat different. : )

FN Posted: Wed Nov 12 08:30:13 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  A few weeks ago I had a discussion with a group of muslims who didn't believe in evolution. Enough said.

I even brought pictures with me haha

misszero Posted: Thu Nov 13 03:19:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>If it's someone that lets superstitions guide their life daily on important matters I tend to put them in a "less intelligent" category.
>

i'd put that in the obsessive compulsive category.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Nov 13 06:13:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Did anyone notice that the Illinois State Lottery Pick 3 numbers came up 6-6-6 on the day Obama was elected ?

addi Posted: Thu Nov 13 06:17:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:

>i'd put that in the obsessive compulsive category.

I know what you're saying, and if it's something like counting stairs or not stepping on cracks then I can see compulsive behavior, and it having little to do with intelligence.
Like I said it depends on what a person's superstistious about to me, and how it affects decisions in their life.

Mesh Posted: Fri Nov 14 02:47:26 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>
>
>Nah i'm just joshin' yah, come on Wise, let's get wasted and shoot up jalopy's with a 12 gauge.

And just where were you last night, you pisser? Because that's just what I did.

Well, I thought about it, anyways.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]