Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

What's your meat ?
ifihadahif Posted: Mon Dec 1 11:48:15 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Try the lion for sure !

http://www.1-800-exoticmeats.com/index.html

FN Posted: Mon Dec 1 14:32:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm pretty sure both lion meat an black bear meat is illegal. Not sure about the turtle, but I figure that if the site is real the meat wouldn't be from the one in the picture.

I wonder though, what's exotic about rabbit and pheasant :)

What's your meat hiff?

addi Posted: Mon Dec 1 21:33:14 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>What's your meat hiff?

Eh...I can't do it. Too easy of a set up : )

Nothing exotic about most of the meats I saw there.
Anyone that orders lion deserves to be covered with meat tenderizer and dropped off in the middle of the Serengeti...at night.

libra Posted: Mon Dec 1 22:13:43 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>

>Anyone that orders lion deserves to be covered with meat tenderizer and dropped off in the middle of the Serengeti...at night.

Ooh, I agree. I have a little bit of a sick satisfaction when animals attack humans. I think it's all a part of my need to root for the underdog.

Ahriman Posted: Mon Dec 1 23:39:30 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Ooh, I agree. I have a little bit of a sick satisfaction when animals attack humans. I think it's all a part of my need to root for the underdog.

You need to go take a walk around in the Alaskan bush. Have a 1400 lb grizzly walk up on you. Your perspective will 180. Believe me.

I've actually eaten a lot of those things. Bear is only good when you get it off a high elevation where they aren't eating fatty, rotten things. I loooove alligator. Rabbit is always great. Buffalo meat not so special. Partridge tastes just like turkey.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 2 06:09:59 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:

>You need to go take a walk around in the Alaskan bush. Have a 1400 lb grizzly walk up on you. Your perspective will 180. Believe me.

Then I suggest you try to avoid taking a walk around in the Alaskan bush.
If you simply must, and encounter a 1400 lb grizzly along the way, just tip your hat and say, "I voted for Obama". Alaskan bears know Palin hunts large game animals and won't hesitate to eat republicans.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 2 06:56:33 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I'm pretty sure both lion meat an black bear meat is illegal. Not sure about the turtle, but I figure that if the site is real the meat wouldn't be from the one in the picture.
>
>I wonder though, what's exotic about rabbit and pheasant :)
>
I would say the overwhelming majority of Americans have never had rabbit or pheasant. Though they are not available at most grocery stores, they can be had at specialty stores fairly easily.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 2 06:57:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>Anyone that orders lion deserves to be covered with meat tenderizer and dropped off in the middle of the Serengeti...at night.
>
Why is it wrong to eat lion ?

addi Posted: Tue Dec 2 10:43:45 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Why is it wrong to eat lion ?

I think you enjoy disagreeing with me sometimes just for the hell of it : )

Because it's an internet site, specifically attracting well off folks from industrialized nations that don't *need* to eat it. They order it instead for the "Wow factor", impressing friends with an exotic dinner spread.
I find that morally reprehensible personally. You may not.

Add to that the following about the current state of the wild lion population and I stand by my previous post.

Threatened:
Angola Lion (P.l. bleyenberghi) - Zimbabwe, Angola and Zaire
Masai Lion (P.l. massaicus) - Eastern Africa (Notably Kenya and
Tanzania)
Senegalese Lion (P.l. senegalensis) - Western Africa
Transvaal or South African Lion (P.l. kruegri) - Botswana, Nambia, and South Africa. (White Lions included here.)

FN Posted: Tue Dec 2 12:40:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I would say the overwhelming majority of Americans have never had rabbit or pheasant.

Hm. Most intriguing.

One learns something new each day ;)

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 2 13:34:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Why is it wrong to eat lion ?
>
>I think you enjoy disagreeing with me sometimes just for the hell of it : )
>
Absolutely true !

>Because it's an internet site, specifically attracting well off folks from industrialized nations that don't *need* to eat it. They order it instead for the "Wow factor", impressing friends with an exotic dinner spread.
>I find that morally reprehensible personally. You may not.
>
Would you say the same thing about someone who orders alligator meat ?

>Add to that the following about the current state of the wild lion population and I stand by my previous post.
>_______________________________________
>Extinct: Barbary Lion (P.l. leo) - Extinct 1920 in the wild
>Cape lion (P.l. melanochaitus) - Extinct 1850 The Cape Lion
>
>Threatened:
>Angola Lion (P.l. bleyenberghi) - Zimbabwe, Angola and Zaire
>Masai Lion (P.l. massaicus) - Eastern Africa (Notably Kenya and
>Tanzania)
>Senegalese Lion (P.l. senegalensis) - Western Africa
>Transvaal or South African Lion (P.l. kruegri) - Botswana, Nambia, and South Africa. (White Lions included here.)
>
I understand what you're saying but the site says these are farm raised lions.

I have an aversion to eating any kind of cat, but I can't really come up with a logical reason why one shouldn't be allowed to eat a farm raised lion or for that matter why it would be morally wrong to do so.

addi Posted: Tue Dec 2 14:26:02 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Lion Meat will definitely give the neighbors and friends something to talk about! Why not take the plunge and try our most unusual meat. Farm raised in South Africa."

Something about that paragraph just makes me sick in the stomach. I try to take into account the cultural aspect of all this, understanding that there are Hindus in India that would feel the same way about me ordering a beef steak.
I just have a hard time justifying raising any big cat soley for the purpose of slaughtering it as meat for entertaining guests. Especially in light of the threatened status of these cats. Also have no clue what kind of inhumane treatment they are getting on this lion farm.
The whole thing reminds me too much of human greed taking priority over what's best for the environment and the animal inhabitants...and ultimately for us. Like poaching elephants for ivory, or rhinos for their horn, or whales for food.

I just wanna smack these people silly.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 2 14:47:57 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>"Lion Meat will definitely give the neighbors and friends something to talk about! Why not take the plunge and try our most unusual meat. Farm raised in South Africa."
>
>Something about that paragraph just makes me sick in the stomach. I try to take into account the cultural aspect of all this, understanding that there are Hindus in India that would feel the same way about me ordering a beef steak.
>I just have a hard time justifying raising any big cat soley for the purpose of slaughtering it as meat for entertaining guests. Especially in light of the threatened status of these cats. Also have no clue what kind of inhumane treatment they are getting on this lion farm.
>
I share the same feelings, but It's only a cultural thing, I cannot come up with any logical explanation why a big cat would be any different than an alligator on the dining table, other than I don't think I like it.
As for the inhumane treatment, you're just assuming that. I doubt it's any more inhumane than a cattle farm.

libra Posted: Tue Dec 2 15:27:04 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think that one of the unsettling things for me is that it's kind of a trying-to-prove something thing...exoticism and abundance and wealth.

like those idiots that shoot animals from helicopters.

I think I also just have a problem eating mammals that aren't domesticated species.

Lions are a threatened species, and we can breed them on our own, but only to eat them? It's worse than a zoo.

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 2 18:43:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Frankly I'm pleased to hear the lions are raised for this purpose (assuming it's true). Many people would just as soon go out and shoot the wild ones - and do.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Dec 2 21:20:17 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I think that one of the unsettling things for me is that it's kind of a trying-to-prove something thing...exoticism and abundance and wealth.
>
>like those idiots that shoot animals from helicopters.
>
That's called culling the herd, and it's done for the good of the herd.
No one shoots animals from helicopters for sport.

>I think I also just have a problem eating mammals that aren't domesticated species.
>
Just mammals ? So alligators are OK ?
Or wild turkeys ?
Rabbits aren't domesticated either.

>Lions are a threatened species, and we can breed them on our own, but only to eat them? It's worse than a zoo.
>
Are you saying we shouldn't have zoos ?

addi Posted: Tue Dec 2 22:37:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>No one shoots animals from helicopters for sport.

You really need to check your facts, hif.

>Just mammals ? So alligators are OK ?
>Or wild turkeys ?
>Rabbits aren't domesticated either.

Yeah..or insects? They're non-domesticated animals. Is it okay to eat them? ; )
Just pointing out the silliness of your point. Not all animals are created equal, and while you may think it's an arbitrary matter the distinction made between higher organisms can't be overlooked. There is a difference between killing a mountain gorilla and killing a mouse, even though both are living wild animals.
It also depends (for me) on the circumstances behind killing an animal. Inuits can hunt walrus for clothing and food and I have no issue at all with that. I see a big difference between that and hunters killing game solely for sport and a wall trophy, or for profit.

>Are you saying we shouldn't have zoos ?

The only possible good I find in zoos is in educating people about animals so they might have a greater appreciation for them, and with propagation of certain threatened species to keep them from going extinct. Other than that I find them to be depressing and sad, especially for the larger mammals that get stuck in small areas.

mat_j Posted: Wed Dec 3 03:40:08 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Christophe said:

>>I wonder though, what's exotic about rabbit and pheasant :)
>>
>I would say the overwhelming majority of Americans have never had rabbit or pheasant. Though they are not available at most grocery stores, they can be had at specialty stores fairly easily.

That's all a bit mad! I'm not from some weird rural area where rich toffs hunt foxes on horse back or anything but I've consumed rabbit, pheasant, quail and partridge.

I've eaten plenty of weird things- Horse, Ostrich, Kangeroo, Alligator, (various) sharks, frogs legs and snails (I expect Chris eats these for breakfast every day- mmmm snail cereal, now with more membrane, yum. KIDDING! :-) ) but the only reason (Apart from Ostrich as it was the only thing on the menu i fancied, it was mostly to annoy fellow diners and for the wow factor).

I'm not sure this Lion farming business is going to cut down the number of Lions killed in the wild by poachers. Does anybody have any figures on that? i'm in work and i can't be bothered, surely it's mostly for pelts and the craic though?

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 3 06:31:27 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>>Just mammals ? So alligators are OK ?
>>Or wild turkeys ?
>>Rabbits aren't domesticated either.
>
>Yeah..or insects? They're non-domesticated animals. Is it okay to eat them? ; )
>Just pointing out the silliness of your point. Not all animals are created equal, and while you may think it's an arbitrary matter the distinction made between higher organisms can't be overlooked. There is a difference between killing a mountain gorilla and killing a mouse, even though both are living wild animals.
>
Is that fact or just your opinion ?
Let's assume that mountain gorillas were not endangered and in fact were as plentiful as sheep. Would it be wrong to kill them for food ? If so, why ?

How do you feel about horses ? Is it ok to kill them for food ? After all, they are domesticated and less intelligent than pigs.

>It also depends (for me) on the circumstances behind killing an animal. Inuits can hunt walrus for clothing and food and I have no issue at all with that. I see a big difference between that and hunters killing game solely for sport and a wall trophy, or for profit.
>
Is it ok for Inuits to kill whales for food and clothing ?

>>Are you saying we shouldn't have zoos ?
>
>The only possible good I find in zoos is in educating people about animals so they might have a greater appreciation for them, and with propagation of certain threatened species to keep them from going extinct.
>
Isn't that exactly why we have zoos and why they are necessary ?

addi Posted: Wed Dec 3 07:36:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Is that fact or just your opinion ?

Idiots hunting from a helicopter is fact.
The rest is mostly my opinion.

>Let's assume that mountain gorillas were not endangered and in fact were as plentiful as sheep. Would it be wrong to kill them for food ? If so, why ?
First of all we can't assume mountain gorillas are as plentiful as sheep..they're not. But even if they were because of their high intelligence it wouldn't be right to hunt them for sport.
The high population of any particular species doesn't make it automatically right to hunt them. If that were the case it would be open season year around for hunting people in China. : )

>How do you feel about horses ? Is it ok to kill them for food ? After all, they are domesticated and less intelligent than pigs.

Horses and I have never gotten along. They don't like me for some reason. : )
We don't hunt them for sport and in my book it's not "okay" to kill them for food unless it's for survival. As far as intelligence goes I've known some horses smarter than many american voters.

>Is it ok for Inuits to kill whales for food and clothing ?

Yes it is. I don't like the thought of it, but it's a traditional means of survival for them. It's a very small population and it's done on a "as needed" family basis...not set up commercially for profit and selling. There's a huge difference between the two.

>Isn't that exactly why we have zoos and why they are necessary ?

If you read my response again you'll see I didn't say we should tear them all down. I said I didn't like them personally. As far as propagation of endangered species that can be accomplished (and is already) outside the confines of a zoo setting. In fact the less contact animals have in a place like that the better their chances are to be sucessfully reintroduced to the wild.
My idea of a zoo for larger mammals and such is to keep them in their natural habitat as much as possible. Like the parks in Africa where you have a "safari" to view them in a natural setting. Maybe you get lucky and see them and maybe you don't...it's part of the dealio. Much better for the animals than being cooped up in some small contained artificial pen...just so a visitor is guaranteed to see them.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 3 09:12:46 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i find the raising of endangered species for meat instead of helping raise numbers in their dwindling population to be disgusting and i personally wouldn't support a company or resturant that served endangered species meat.

i have eaten rabbit, pheasant, quail, ostrich, shark, and gator once (didn't know it was gator until after the meal :'( poor gator) i don't find them exotic and everything but shark is availible at whole foods - organic and humanely raised and slaughtered.

people have and will continue to shoot animals from helicoptors. no matter how painful of a death that animal suffers >:(

i only care for zoo who are there to educate and to bring up numbers in the endangered animals they have. watching the poor cats and bears pace in a tiny enclosure is horrible >:(

the zoo in NC has this wonderful african exhibit with a huge portion of land outside for the animals to coexist in(zebras, okapi, giraffes, elephants). Somedays you saw animals sometimes not. it just all depends on if the animals were off enjoying their privacy. i like that set up... it gives the animals space to move around in and just hang out...

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 3 11:05:31 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:

>>Let's assume that mountain gorillas were not endangered and in fact were as plentiful as sheep. Would it be wrong to kill them for food ? If so, why ?
>First of all we can't assume mountain gorillas are as plentiful as sheep..they're not. But even if they were because of their high intelligence it wouldn't be right to hunt them for sport.
>The high population of any particular species doesn't make it automatically right to hunt them. If that were the case it would be open season year around for hunting people in China. : )
>
>>How do you feel about horses ? Is it ok to kill them for food ? After all, they are domesticated and less intelligent than pigs.
>
>Horses and I have never gotten along. They don't like me for some reason. : )
>We don't hunt them for sport and in my book it's not "okay" to kill them for food unless it's for survival. As far as intelligence goes I've known some horses smarter than many american voters.
>
If intelligence is the benchmark for deciding what is food and what is not food, then horses should be on the list above pigs, don't you think ? A pig is considered to be more intelligent than a horse or even a dog, yet we eat them.
God I love a good ham ! And bacon !
We don't hunt them for sport but we do have an industry that raises them for slaughter her in America. It's not legal to sell them for food here, but we can ship them to Japan where they are considered a delicacy.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 3 11:06:55 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>
>We don't hunt them for sport but we do have an industry that raises them for slaughter her in America. It's not legal to sell them for food here, but we can ship them to Japan where they are considered a delicacy.
>
That last line was in reference to horses. After posting It looked like I was referring to pigs. Duh

FN Posted: Wed Dec 3 11:45:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I think I also just have a problem eating mammals that aren't domesticated species.

How does the suffering of the animal depend on it being domesticated or not I wonder

FN Posted: Wed Dec 3 11:47:46 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>i find the raising of endangered species for meat instead of helping raise numbers in their dwindling population to be disgusting and i personally wouldn't support a company or resturant that served endangered species meat.

That right there is the beauty of capitalism

FN Posted: Wed Dec 3 11:49:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>
>>We don't hunt them for sport but we do have an industry that raises them for slaughter her in America. It's not legal to sell them for food here, but we can ship them to Japan where they are considered a delicacy.

You can't eat a horse in america?

Horse meat and such is pretty common over here as well. It's not something people eat all the time but you can walk into any butcher's shop I think and get a horse steak.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 3 12:35:44 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>You can't eat a horse in america?
>
>Horse meat and such is pretty common over here as well. It's not something people eat all the time but you can walk into any butcher's shop I think and get a horse steak.
>
We actually had a Kentucky Derby (Ferdinand 1987) winner that was slaughtered for pet food in Japan just a few years ago.

Mesh Posted: Sat Dec 13 00:33:06 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know about lion meat, but I'd think in the US anyways black bear meat probably wouldn't be illegal since they can be legally hunted. I'd think it'd be like any other legal game, you can buy or sell it.

Wait, I just realized, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Nevermind.

Mesh Posted: Sat Dec 13 00:35:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh, by the way, rattlesnake meat is really good. Pheasant I could do without. Alligator is good as well. Frog meat....blegh. Rabbit is alright, and american bison was ok.

I......am shameless when it comes to foods I'm willing to try. Just to let you know, any animals testicles...........not good. Same goes with eyeballs.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]