Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Hungry
choke Posted: Thu Dec 4 02:46:10 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have recently been advised to avoid all gluten and dairy, and also a lot of preservatives and additives. If I don't I could face holes in my stomach and I'm already backing up my liver and kidneys. Soo...

I need help finding cheap food/recipes that I can eat as a student for next year, because at the moment I'm living off rice and variations thereof. It's tremendously boring/depressing but the only other things I can think of are salads (ingrediants go off quickly) and meat (expensive)

So any help would be appreciated! I'm looking at you Ahriman!

jennemmer Posted: Thu Dec 4 12:11:42 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Do you like squash and spinach? You could try this recipe I got from a friend and leave out the cheese part. I thought it was pretty tasty.

http://threeforks.wordpress.com/2008/11/10/get-your-greens/

FN Posted: Thu Dec 4 13:01:11 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If by "tasty" you mean "smells like ass"!

This has absolutely no point at all, I just wanted to type ass.

How about some http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Tartine_et_pot_de_Nutella.jpg

Ahriman Posted: Sat Dec 6 01:56:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh well, definitely make use of your freezer then. Buy meats in bulk. Freeze them till you want to eat them. Pull them out the day of. Put it in your sink, inside of a container, and let cool running water dribble onto it till it is thawed or do the microwave thaw. I'm assuming you've delved into quinoa. In reference to salads. Buy large container of olive oil. Got a whisk? Put in whatever vinegar you want in a bowl with olive oil(or 90/10 soybean/olive which is cheaper), whisk that baby up and you have a vinaigrette. Add some chopped shallots, garlic, etc to liven it some more. Make use of herbs. If you are going to cook some chicken, put some rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper on it. Got your hands on some fish? Get some thyme, parsley, sage, tarragon and chive(or whatever is freshest in your area). Chop and puree that in some olive oil with some S&P. Cook your fish (either in an oven on a sheet tray or in a covered saute pan on the stove top). Put down some roasted potatoes and vegetables. Put your cook fish on top. Drizzle your herbed oil on top of that. Tada.

In conclusion, cause I'm ridiculously tired, watch the market. The price of lobster is amazingly low right now. It's too costly to ship lobsters overseas so we have a surplus here in the states. The price of tomatoes went up because we are no longer producing any locally here(snow). Blah blah. So just be a smart shopper. Walk into the store and look at fresh produce/meat/seafood/herbs and find out what's on the up and what's on the down. If you get a bunch of _____ from the ______ section of your store and you need a recipe or a means of preparing it. Either email me ChefGarvey87@gmail.com or post it here and I will reply as fast as I can. G'night all.

beetlebum Posted: Sat Dec 6 12:50:16 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aw, i'm sorry choke. i love lentils, roasted veggies, etc. but i guess it's summer there, so why not loads of fresh salads?

also, ahriman, that photo is amazing.

Ahriman Posted: Sun Dec 7 23:22:01 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>also, ahriman, that photo is amazing.

Go to Talkeetna, Alaska.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Dec 13 02:23:09 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  whole foods is your friend
so are vegan websites which is basically how you well be eating now. as a vegan.

misszero Posted: Mon Dec 15 18:30:58 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i used to have a housemate who was vegan, and sensitive to soy and wheat. (yeah, she didn't have a whole lot of options)

next time i see her, i'll ask her how she used to bake her delicious cakes that had, like, nothing cakey in them.

she'd use apple juice concentrate instead of sugar, pumpkin instead of egg, and rice or almond meal (or something) instead of flour. it was like the magic no-cake cake

FN Posted: Tue Dec 16 12:46:12 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>she'd use apple juice concentrate instead of sugar, pumpkin instead of egg, and rice or almond meal (or something) instead of flour. it was like the magic no-cake cake

That's just freaky

choke Posted: Tue Dec 23 18:52:23 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wahaha awesome thanks guys!

I avoided all the bad stuff for a few weeks and then when I tried to pack it in and eat crap again my kidneys ached and I felt terrible. Never try to be healthy unless you mean to stick with it forever!

addi Posted: Wed Dec 24 07:10:03 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Never try to be healthy unless you mean to stick with it forever!

Great words to live by!
That's exactly why I try to avoid being healthy...it's bad for you.

*Merry Christmas, GTers!

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 24 17:02:50 2008 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>choke said:
>>Never try to be healthy unless you mean to stick with it forever!
>
>Great words to live by!
>That's exactly why I try to avoid being healthy...it's bad for you.
>
Just remember, no matter what you do, no matter how well you take care of yourself, you will eventually get very sick and die.
>
>
Merry Christmas to All !

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]