Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Tourists.
Posted: Sun Jan 25 19:55:35 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's tourist season here in Scottsdale (I wish that meant I could shoot them with a license) and it's driving me insane.

It's driving me insane because I can't get a reservation at my favourite restaurants, can't get a tee time at my favourite golf courses, and I can't rollerblade at any moderate speed at the park near my condo.

Living in Windsor/Detroit my whole life, you never saw a tourist, or if you did, they were there out of necessity (visiting family), or on business (though I doubt that's much of a problem anymore). Last year I didn't notice it much because I suppose I was still getting used to the hubbub of this funny little desert city, but this year it's different.

Even driving takes 2x as long, and everybody's got out of state plate (New Mexico has my favourite license place, by the way, but probably my least favourite drivers). I don't think of my condo as being too close to the club district of Old Town, but it's close enough that now I can see drunk kids filter down the block and here unscrupulously loud music blaring from my balcony.

Wonder if this means I'm getting old. Hmph.

libra Posted: Mon Jan 26 03:32:37 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You do sound kind of like a grumpy old man.

That's okay though, I understand about the tourist thing...they can be annoying.
And I agree about the license plate...New Mexico's is good. Though I wonder how people feel about it clashing with pretty much any car color.

addi Posted: Mon Jan 26 06:58:28 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Only been to Scottsdale once in my life, and it was to play golf on a corporate outing. I seem to recall a lot of the tourist types there were generally the older well off financially folks. Also seem to remember there were some pretty swanky shops/malls there for them to spend money at.
It's the drivers that would probably piss me off the most...too many cars and too many poor drivers behind the wheel is a major pet peeve of mine.

And I agree about liking the design on the NM plates. As libra said though you're kinda screwed if you don't have a yellow or red car.

libra Posted: Mon Jan 26 14:17:27 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>
>
>And I agree about liking the design on the NM plates. As libra said though you're kinda screwed if you don't have a yellow or red car.

Or a very specific shade of green...

kurohyou Posted: Tue Jan 27 00:49:04 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I live in a resort community which derives the majority of its revenue from the Tourists coming up to ski and frolic in the winter wonderland we have up here 9 months a year.

While I'm far from a local I too experience the same angst about the tourists. It's a double edged sword in a way. While the community needs them for income, the community hates them because they make life difficult. Going to the supermarket is crazy some days and I hear you about the restraunts.

The other funny thing that happens, especially in my line of work is that you get caught between the tourists and the locals. The locals think we should be out hunting the tourists who run amuck in our community and leave the locals alone. Whereas the tourists think that to get a ticket for anything when they're only here for a few days is nitpicky and just plain wrong on so many levels.

I for my part am and equal opportunity offender of the public. I could care less where you are from. If you are a bad monkey in my county, you'll probably get a beat down and a free ride to a nice place we call the Summit Hotel. Believe it or not the food is not that bad, I used to eat there often... that is until they got a flesh eating bacterial infection in F-Pod. But they say they have that all cleared up now...

Ah tourists... I'll be out frolicking with them in the morning on the hill. Got a new snowboard today, out of necessity because some butthead stole mine from the top of the mountain while I was eating lunch. I can't wait to find it... Oh the things I'll do... :)

For what it's worth...

addi Posted: Tue Jan 27 06:36:04 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:

>I'll be out frolicking with them in the morning on the hill. Got a new snowboard today,

You luck!
But I must add real cops always use skis and leave the snowboarding to the punks....and tourists. : )

kurohyou Posted: Wed Jan 28 01:42:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>kurohyou said:
>
>>I'll be out frolicking with them in the morning on the hill. Got a new snowboard today,
>
>You luck!
>But I must add real cops always use skis and leave the snowboarding to the punks....and tourists. : )

That's what my partner says. He skis and is a hell of a lot faster than I am. So we have an agreement. He catches the little shits and I write the tickets when I catch up with them.

Though the new board I got is a hell of a lot faster than my previous one so I'm not all that upset that the other one is gone. I'm upset I had to spend $350 but I am very pleased with my purchase.

I kept up with the partner for half a run today... That was before I hit an ice patch, over corrected, nearly caught the front edge (Front edge falls are bad) and then over compensated again and fell on my ass, at which point I proceeded to slide 100-150 yards down the hill on my ass.... It was actually pretty comical...

For what it's worth...

breeze Posted: Wed Jan 28 11:41:46 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We get our own share of tourists in Philly, but they are generally not nearly as annoying as the students that flood the city when the colleges start in September. That's when you can truly see that Philadelphia is a university city, with over 80 colleges and I think something like 120,000 students.

That's when I join Crim in that I think I'm getting old when I get pissed at drunk kids flooding the streets after 2am and yelling outside my window, when I have to be up at 6am and go to work in the morning.. or when you go to your favorite hangout just to discover Alpha Kappa Lambda [enter the name of your fraternity/sorority here] party reserved it for the night... ugghh..

Ahriman Posted: Fri Jan 30 12:00:02 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
> and I can't rollerblade at any moderate speed at the park near my condo.

ummmm....

yeaaaaa....

I'm going to just walk away from that one.

Posted: Fri Jan 30 18:31:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>CriminalSaint said:
>> and I can't rollerblade at any moderate speed at the park near my condo.
>
>
>....
>
>
>
>ummmm....
>
>
>
>yeaaaaa....
>
>
>I'm going to just walk away from that one.

:(

addi Posted: Mon Feb 2 07:05:03 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>I'm going to just walk away from that one.

It's better to be roller blading away from that one.

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 3 15:09:25 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cardiff gets a bit touristy but to try blocking our roads would assume a vehicle will get you anywhere constructive. Mwahahahaha centralised city with good pedestrianisation.

Most of our tourists just take pictures outside the mighty castle and go for fudge in the welsh shop.

libra Posted: Wed Feb 4 00:42:50 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>
>Most of our tourists just take pictures outside the mighty castle and go for fudge in the welsh shop.

I would like to be a tourist there.

mat_j Posted: Wed Feb 4 03:49:59 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You'd always be welcome dear friend!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]