Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Leukemia
Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu May 14 14:48:37 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my grandfather has been diagnosed with leukemia and my mom flew down to be with him yesterday. my folks wouldn't tell me what was going on at first and i had to grill them. i seriously want him to get better but he is 84 and he was in remission for intestinal cancer which took 80% of his intestinal tract. My mom has already started saying things like he's lived a long life and blah blah blah.

i don't want to hear that. i want to hear that is going to live another 20 years and to see his great grandbabies and to beat this leukemia like he beat cancer.

but the likelihood isn't good. my folks are finally telling me that he has been very very sick the last couple years. often being in the hospital fighting to keep up just a general health.

i don't have money to get a plane ticket out there. but i think i'm going to have to sell somethings like my guitar. to get up the funds to go see him if this gets any worse.

-sigh- i know he is getting up there but it doesn't make the pain hurt any less.

anyways. that is what's on my mind

addi Posted: Thu May 14 16:13:16 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry, Cherry. No fun.
Going through something similar myself as my mother-in-law was diagnosed with it about 8 weeks ago. It's gotten much worse over the past week and I don't think she'll be around on earth much longer. It's a hard thing to deal with.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu May 14 20:24:11 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't like to hear about anybody's loved ones getting sick, but I kind of figure anything past 80yrs is pretty much a bonus.
I know it doesn't make the pain any less but it does help to reconcile things a bit afterwards.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri May 15 04:59:31 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thanks you guys *hugs*
i know he is getting on in years and over the last 24 hours i've been trying to settle into the thinking that he has lived a long and extraordinary life.

i'll make a new post or add to this one if things go downhill very fast

i told my direct manager and my store manager and they both gave me vacant stares. douchebags.

my mom has had two cancer scares and with so much cancer going on in her family i'm scared that she'll be next.

which really sucks because now these days we actually talk on a weekly basis. and seems to be coming to the point where we are trying to have a relationship. bleh. if she gets cancer next i will go up there and punch the shit out of god.

mat_j Posted: Fri May 15 18:43:35 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sad to hear this Cherry,

I hope you're ok, we're always here in GT if ever you need us.

Mat x

everyday_daisy Posted: Sat May 16 06:01:27 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm "new" (signed on a few years ago but only come back when i remember i like long-livin forums) but not a spambot.

and i empathize completely. i was close to my grandfather too and i had to watch him die slowly of lung cancer. it was horrible.

i think you're a wonderful person for finding ways to be with him through this.

we are here. yes we are!
hugs

addi Posted: Sun May 17 13:46:50 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Was just informed that my mother-in-law passed on this morning. Sad time. At least it didn't drag on for months.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun May 17 13:50:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>At least it didn't drag on for months.

which is what is making this the hardest... i mean i would alright (not happy) if he just passed on quietly in his sleep. but dying slowly getting eaten by a disease like cancer or leukemia is killing me emotionally. bleh..

thanks for all the support guys *big hugs*

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun May 17 23:45:28 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  another email from my dad.

my grandpa's liver is failing & having issues. so no chemo just meds to keep the pain at bay.

his leukumia is of a rare varity and so he doesn't qualify for steam cells or blood marrow tranfusion.

so he has been basically a death sentance of 6-10 months.

misszero Posted: Mon May 18 04:10:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi, i'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. my sympathies to your family. (you know if i were the praying kind, i'd pray. as it stands, i'll just send out some good thoughts)

same for you cherry. my grandfather died last year, and its difficult.

addi Posted: Mon May 18 06:57:08 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>addi, i'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. my sympathies to your family. (you know if i were the praying kind, i'd pray. as it stands, i'll just send out some good thoughts)
>
>same for you cherry. my grandfather died last year, and its difficult.

Thank you, misszero...and you other good folks. I completely understand where you're coming from with the praying thoughts too. I'm in the same agnostic boat and all I can say with any sincerity to a friend that loses a loved one is "I'm thinking of you".

It's difficult anyway to know the proper response to situations like this. Shit happens and it happens to each of us. Life goes on, and the important thing for me to take from losses like this is to make the most of each day that we have with family and close friends...because time with them is so short in the grand scheme of things.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Fri Jun 5 03:57:17 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dad let me know grandpa won't make it even 3 months. he has thrush and is on so much morphine that he is barely lucid. T_T i can't fucking go see him because of money issues. fuck. anyway i will probably have to sell some things to get a plane ticket.

mat_j Posted: Sat Jun 6 08:58:36 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish you all the luck in world C'moon to somehow get the funds to get home.

I am doing a boat race tomorrow to raise money for the Anthony Nolan trust a UK charity for Leukemia, will be thinking of you.

M x

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Jun 29 13:16:37 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At 7am June 28th, 2009 Jerome Leslie passed away in his sleep from complications of Leukemia.

And I still don't have the money to go home. I'm getting an advance on a paycheck. At least I'll be with my family where I belong.

misszero Posted: Thu Jul 2 21:05:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i know this is belated, but I'm sorry to hear that, and i've said a prayer. One of my very close friends had a funeral yesterday for his grandma, whom he was very close with. Its tough. I know its not much, but when i couldn't make it in time to see my grandpa before he died last year, i took comfort in the fact that my last memories of seeing him were when he was healthy and alert, and not in any pain.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]