Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

Who's got the goods?
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 1 01:03:38 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was thinking of starting my own bakery. I was wondering what some of your favorite baked things are. I was also debating having a daily lunch special that changes based on what I feel like, so favorite dishes in general are also included.


 
Posted: Sun Nov 1 01:13:08 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  In the interest of Canadian comfort food, please consider the following:

1. Poutine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

2. Beaver Tails: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_%28pastry%29


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 1 08:46:52 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Any specific kind of cheese curds on the poutine? Also for the beaver tails, is there a specific dough type or sugary coating that should be used?


 
ifihadahif Posted: Sun Nov 1 11:24:31 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Springerlies ! I love these sumbitches. Delicioso !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springerlies


 
Kira Posted: Sun Nov 1 14:55:53 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ladyfingers. Yum.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 1 18:52:25 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Springerlies ! I love these sumbitches. Delicioso !

i must say, i am seriously looking into this one. i found some on amazon, and they sound easy enough to make. hopefully i can obtain one and make some by christmas.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 1 18:57:18 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Ladyfingers. Yum.

good thinking! :)


 
Puck Posted: Mon Nov 2 11:30:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I miss getting to eat the out of date Tiramisu, Napoleons, cannoli, devil dogs, black and whites, etc. The baklava were always too hard and narsty to get through while hiding in the back of the bakery.


 
breeze Posted: Mon Nov 2 12:24:52 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Fruit tarts. The best ones I tried are in Chicago in a little bakery called Bombon Americano. Their vanilla shells just melt in your mouth and the custard is just heavenly...


 
Ahriman Posted: Mon Nov 2 18:26:05 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just enjoy really good bread. If you had some good olive oil and balsamic with some truly fragrant, moist, hearty bread. I would be there everyday. Do you have a Mother Dough?

http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/
This place had an amazing yeast strain.


 
sweet p Posted: Mon Nov 2 19:56:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Churros!
Cheese danishes!
And for a favourite snack: peameal bacon sandwich. Oh yes.


And what CriminalSaint said. Poutine and Beaver Tails. mmmmmmm
Poutine sounds and looks gross but it is actually delicious.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Mon Nov 2 22:25:03 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
> Do you have a Mother Dough?
>


i am working on the dough. its tough because i know what methods/ingredients i want to use, but my current (primarily living) situation does not supply the proper sort of oven...so its all in the experimental stage atm for the bread.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Mon Nov 2 22:27:00 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>Churros!
>Cheese danishes!
>And for a favourite snack: peameal bacon sandwich. Oh yes.
>

churros: yes!
cheese danishes: awesome!
peameal bacon sndwch: any specific recipe or ingredient list?

and i am very much interested/looking into the poutine and beaver tails.


 
addi Posted: Tue Nov 3 08:26:20 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yum...beaver!

Alright, I'm just going to go ahead and ask what I'm sure others are thinking too.

Who are you, ehwazingwaz?


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 3 19:35:50 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>
>Alright, I'm just going to go ahead and ask what I'm sure others are thinking too.
>
>Who are you, ehwazingwaz?


i have posted this info in a new thread in order to preserve this one. :)


 
sweet p Posted: Thu Nov 5 14:02:39 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:
>peameal bacon sndwch: any specific recipe or ingredient list?

Lots of peameal bacon, a tasty mustard sauce, and a soft bun.

Some people really like their condiments on this one, but the best peameal sandwich I've ever had was as simple as that.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Fri Nov 6 01:03:57 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>
>Lots of peameal bacon

and how would one go about obtaining said peameal bacon?


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 15:29:18 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  serve grilled cheese on rosemary sourdough with sharp white cheddar and garlic, and I'll be your ass slave


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 17:02:44 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>serve grilled cheese on rosemary sourdough with sharp white cheddar and garlic, and I'll be your ass slave


1. that sounds delightful
2. so you'll work for me? its a lot of cooking for one person.


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 19:49:34 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My terms:
I'm not wearing a silly hat or light-colored pants; it's gonna be slacks or jeans and a bandanna until my hair is back to ponytail length, then it's a non-ball cap hat. I don't upsell or use lines on customers; I say "sup? whatcha need?" or "what'll it be?" I rarely say sir or ma'am unless they're a regular customer or are exceptionally nice.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 20:10:50 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>My terms:
>I'm not wearing a silly hat or light-colored pants; it's gonna be slacks or jeans and a bandanna until my hair is back to ponytail length, then it's a non-ball cap hat. I don't upsell or use lines on customers; I say "sup? whatcha need?" or "what'll it be?" I rarely say sir or ma'am unless they're a regular customer or are exceptionally nice.

1. no silly hats allowed unless its a holiday--namely halloween.
2. i don't do light colored pants. i might wear them, but you don't have to. we'll have cool tshirts instead.
3. i don't do hair nets. so no worries. as long as you're not dropping hairs/beads of sweat into the food, i'm cool.
4. i might have daily specials. know them. repeat them. that's all i ask. i don't do "sir" or "ma'am" either unless they're being funny with me and i know it. or if i know them already. and if i think they'd laugh. i stick with "what can i get ya?" or "what can i do for you today?"



 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 20:24:31 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:
>no silly hats allowed
"Silly Hats Only"-Saturdays
2. Vintage Pantera shirts?
3. If it's so hot that I'm dropping sweat, I'm out. Ventilate that bitch. a bandanna makes a fine hair net.
4. If I'm one of few people there, it would be silly for me to not be able to glance over and see sitting there, what the special is. Why not have a sign with the special and I'll fill in the details when they ask about them? I always throw out an "enjoy" or "have a good one" I've aced all the secret shoppers I've dealt with, though I only have record of one.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 20:32:26 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>ehwazingwaz said:
>>no silly hats allowed
>"Silly Hats Only"-Saturdays
>2. Vintage Pantera shirts?
>3. If it's so hot that I'm dropping sweat, I'm out. Ventilate that bitch. a bandanna makes a fine hair net.
>4. If I'm one of few people there, it would be silly for me to not be able to glance over and see sitting there, what the special is. Why not have a sign with the special and I'll fill in the details when they ask about them? I always throw out an "enjoy" or "have a good one" I've aced all the secret shoppers I've dealt with, though I only have record of one.


1.lolz.
2. sure
3. its called "being busy" and duh!
4. :p you should be able to talk about them if say, the cute little sign disappears. or if the specials change but the board hasn't. etc. i'm not worried about secret shoppers. screw that.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 20:45:22 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  general question: should i stick to pastries and other delicious baked goods, or should i also expand my lunch menu? include various sorts of sandwiches that aren't run-of-the-mill stuff?


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 20:59:02 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sandwiches implies having to keep meats and particular veggies on hand. If the location is awesome enough for the demand to reasonably consume the supply, sell whatever. I have to demand an italian sausage, potato, and provolone croissant.

caramel mocha scone, yo


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:09:24 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
 
I work daily with a double rack oven that you could easily fit ten bodies inside of. I'm accustomed to getting hit in the face with 400degree steam. 480steam is the bitch. sweat is only an issue when they think it's a good idea to pump heat into the bakery during the winter.

samples also speak well. the secret shopper thing was to attest to my work ethic and customer service skizillz.


 
Kira Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:12:57 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  People will ask about the specials even if there's a sign. Believe me. They will also ask for things not on the menu. And complain about the prices being too high. And demand free stuff because they had to wait an extra two minutes. And other annoying things I can't think of because I never worked in a restaurant.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:16:00 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>
> the secret shopper thing was to attest to my work ethic and customer service skizillz.

coolness. i just dislike that type of evaluation because there is no context really.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:16:47 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
> And other annoying things I can't think of because I never worked in a restaurant.

lol. but you are right about the rest. :)


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:20:20 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  blowing off customers is an artform. last-day items are on the front-line for samples. I've dealt with cost complainers and it really just comes down to a shrug and a grin for an answer. I love it when people call and ask if the bear claws are ready and I get to tell them that we have never ever carried them.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:23:04 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol. i also love it when customers ask for fictional foods. or at least ones that have never been available there.


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 21:30:10 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "are the lembas cooled yet?"
"get the fuck out"

Every time a customer thinks that the word "donut" is specific to a certain type of donut and not all donuts, I want to kick their heads off. GOOOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!


 
Kira Posted: Sat Nov 7 23:07:36 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>"are the lembas cooled yet?"
>"get the fuck out"
>

HA!

Nerd jokes. <3


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 7 23:12:04 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I will make fun of The Lord of the Rings so hard I will make a supernerd throw up. Step 2: die happy.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 8 18:33:09 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>I will make fun of The Lord of the Rings so hard I will make a supernerd throw up.


LOL


 
Puck Posted: Sun Nov 8 19:26:57 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wouldn't mind a sfogliatelle, now and then. starting now...


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 8 19:56:13 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>I wouldn't mind a sfogliatelle, now and then. starting now...


O.o

you are full of good ideas.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 11:29:32 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What are anyone's thoughts on "traditional" baked goods, like cookies or truffles or fudge?


 
Puck Posted: Tue Nov 10 12:49:17 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  why? ya got some?


 
Kira Posted: Tue Nov 10 16:54:33 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm always up for a cookie or two. I like chocolate chip, peanut butter, and shortbread cookies. I do NOT like sugar cookies.

Fudge is always awesome. Hell, anything chocolate is awesome, isn't it? Fudge being superchocolate.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 18:40:51 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>why? ya got some?

i'm a pretty mean cookie maker. mean=badass, not rude/asshole-y. haven't perfected truffles yet, and i hope to learn how to make eclairs from a distant cousin one day...if i can ever make it up to his house.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 18:44:33 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>I'm always up for a cookie or two. I like chocolate chip, peanut butter, and shortbread cookies. I do NOT like sugar cookies.
>
>Fudge is always awesome. Hell, anything chocolate is awesome, isn't it? Fudge being superchocolate.

are you in favor of bigger or smaller cookies? i don't necessarily mean giant-sized ones, or cookie "cakes" or "pies" but larger than the ones in heavily marketed packages, like keebler.

sugar cookies are hard to make sometimes, just because if they're too thin, they'll burn on the bottom before they go golden on top, and then you have to throw them all out. and they are often dry. much experimenting has been done on my part to perfect the sugar cookie, and i have determined that it is impossible. i most likely will not offer plain sugar cookies. because those are boring.

and yes, fudge is fabulous. delectable. i had some pumpkin fudge from a local store recently, and it was beyond orgasmic. it had pecan bits in it too...


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 18:45:55 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i also love to use cookie cutters, and decorating cookies is tons of fun for me.


thoughts on gingerbread cookies or ginger snaps?


 
Kira Posted: Tue Nov 10 20:08:29 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:
>Kira said:
>>I'm always up for a cookie or two. I like chocolate chip, peanut butter, and shortbread cookies. I do NOT like sugar cookies.
>>
>>Fudge is always awesome. Hell, anything chocolate is awesome, isn't it? Fudge being superchocolate.
>
>are you in favor of bigger or smaller cookies? i don't necessarily mean giant-sized ones, or cookie "cakes" or "pies" but larger than the ones in heavily marketed packages, like keebler.

When I'm buying a cookie at a sweet shop or bakery, I always get the smallest ones they're offering, if I can do that and still get the variety I want.

Seeing big, saucer-sized cookies all lined up behind the glass at the bakery counter gets people excited, but I think if someone's in the mood for a cookie anyway you don't need to worry about grabbing their attention by making them too big. I have always regretted it later, every time I got a cookie I had to hold with two hands. Since Americans are compulsive eaters, smaller portions are a good compromise for those who make a hobby out of eating, or who make it a social activity, and don't want to pay too highly for it at weigh-in time. So I would recommend trying the smaller treats and just see how they sell.



I'm kind of neutral on gingerbread. I have to be in the right mood for it.


 
Puck Posted: Tue Nov 10 20:41:26 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sugar cookies really require being chilled before going into the oven so that they don't go flat. flat, doughy choco chip cookies are yum. thick ones are yum. milk saturated ones are yum.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 20:57:33 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>
>When I'm buying a cookie at a sweet shop or bakery, I always get the smallest ones they're offering, if I can do that and still get the variety I want.
>Americans are compulsive eaters, smaller portions are a good compromise for those who make a hobby out of eating, or who make it a social activity, and don't want to pay too highly for it at weigh-in time. So I would recommend trying the smaller treats and just see how they sell.
>
>
>
>I'm kind of neutral on gingerbread. I have to be in the right mood for it.


smaller does sound better since you put it that way. i'd be able to sell more too, more than likely. and gingerbread is really a tricky item... i'm not terribly fond of eating gingerbread cookies but i like how they smell when they're cooking.


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 20:58:44 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>sugar cookies really require being chilled before going into the oven so that they don't go flat. flat, doughy choco chip cookies are yum. thick ones are yum. milk saturated ones are yum.

maybe that's the step i'm missing for the sugar cookie process. hm.

choco chip cookies are good in just about any form. for sure.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Tue Nov 10 21:05:01 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This is my super secret recipe for the best cookies on the planet.
Sometimes I like to add some ground cloves for added mystery.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1-1/2 Cups flour

TSP Salt

TSP Baking Powder

4 Tablespoons Cinnamon

2 Sticks Soft Butter

1 Cups Brown Sugar

Cup Sugar

2 Eggs

3 Cups Oats

2 Cups Chocolate Chips

1 Cup Butterscotch Chips

Preheat Oven to 350

Mix Flour, Salt, and Baking Powder

Beat butter til creamy add sugars and beat til fluffy

Beat in eggs, one at a time

Stir in dry ingredients

Stir in oats and chips

Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown



 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 10 21:11:23 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>This is my super secret recipe for the best cookies on the planet.
>Sometimes I like to add some ground cloves for added mystery.
>

they sound tasty! i'll submit them to the test kitchen this week. thanks!


 
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Nov 11 06:50:42 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>This is my super secret recipe for the best cookies on the planet.
>>Sometimes I like to add some ground cloves for added mystery.
>>
>
>they sound tasty! i'll submit them to the test kitchen this week. thanks!
>
Let me know how you like them and whether or not you added the ground cloves.
It took a lot of tweaking and and a lot of batches to come up with this one.


 
Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 17:24:30 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Let me know how you like them and whether or not you added the ground cloves.

At a glance, I thought this said "added the bacon"

YES! YES! ADD THE BACONZ! ADD THEM!!!


 
Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 20:57:05 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  waffle smores


 
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Nov 11 21:06:22 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Let me know how you like them and whether or not you added the ground cloves.
>
>At a glance, I thought this said "added the bacon"
>
>YES! YES! ADD THE BACONZ! ADD THEM!!!
>
I think there is not one thing in the whole universe that cannot be improved with bacon.
:-)


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Thu Nov 12 11:23:57 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Puck said:
>>ifihadahif said:
>>>Let me know how you like them and whether or not you added the ground cloves.
>>
>>At a glance, I thought this said "added the bacon"
>>
>>YES! YES! ADD THE BACONZ! ADD THEM!!!
>>
>I think there is not one thing in the whole universe that cannot be improved with bacon.
>:-)

bacon! and waffle smores puck? do you bake the entire thing?


 
Puck Posted: Thu Nov 12 22:37:05 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if I had some chocolate, I would have baked them. yum in theory


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Fri Nov 13 11:01:47 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>if I had some chocolate, I would have baked them. yum in theory

well go get some chocolate then! :) i hope you'll let us all know how it turns out, once you get some chocolate.


 
Kira Posted: Fri Nov 13 19:14:39 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  For some reason I really feel Mesh should be part of this conversation about now. Although I don't know why waffle s'mores would make me think of him.

Meshy! Don't be such a DBFer!


 
Puck Posted: Fri Nov 13 23:02:41 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said
>well go get some chocolate then!

I'M WORKING ON IT!


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 14 16:48:32 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>ehwazingwaz said
>>well go get some chocolate then!
>
>I'M WORKING ON IT!


lol, no rush! whew.


 
Puck Posted: Sat Nov 14 17:22:08 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:

>lol, no rush! whew. ...but seriously, do it now!


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Thu Nov 19 02:07:30 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>do it now!

governator style?


 
ehwazingwaz Posted: Tue Nov 24 11:50:44 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  what about mayonnaise cake?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,147177-226200,00.html


 
Puck Posted: Tue Nov 24 16:17:17 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  After seeing the episode of How I Met Your Mother, with the mayonnaise salad topped with crushed potato chips, I'm wary of all things that involve mayo unless it's a sammich.


 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]