Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Lessons
Kira Posted: Tue Nov 10 22:03:56 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We've probably all experienced those afternoon lessons as children, those extra activities. For some it's dance, for others, karate. Did you learn piano as a kid, or violin? Did you spend two afternoons a week riding horses, or playing tennis?

Did you enjoy those lessons? Why did you stop? Have you ever thought of taking up that activity/skill again?

ehwazingwaz Posted: Wed Nov 11 01:05:07 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i never really had lessons quite like that, but i did take tap dance lessons when i was in...kindergarten? i was pretty good at it and i always had fun going to lessons but when my first performance occurred, i froze onstage and couldn't hardly move. afterwards i decided i didn't want to do it anymore. i didn't really have any scheduled activity after that until high school when i got involved in marching band. i never did any sports or anything like that. i continued with marching band through all of high school and into my college career, but a heat stroke and shin splints caused me to have to give up marching band (the collegiate band rehearsed from 3-5 pm in the fall, so the hottest part of the day, and our practice field was half grass and half sand, so it really wasn't the best condition for marching). that and the collegiate band wasn't a competing one, and i missed the challenges and the unity i felt when preparing for those marching competitions like we did in high school.

in retrospect, i really wish i'd stuck with tap, and i also very much miss marching band. i don't play anymore either, just because my required classes (for graduation) don't leave me with any time to actually schedule the wind ensemble class. but i sure did have some good times.

Mark Posted: Wed Nov 11 03:09:44 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Did Judo, soccer, rugby. Judo and rugby where fun, but lost interest (plus I'm not build for rugby ;) Soccer wasn't really my kind of sport. Never thought of ever starting with any of those, but I do want to try out a martial arts... whenever I can decide which one.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Nov 11 06:57:04 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Boy Scouts for a year or so, then I dedicated myself to rolling the perfect joint and I think I may have achieved that particular dream.

After that I dedicated myself to chasing skirts and did that well enough to be on my third and final marriage.
If I had it all to do over again, I would have never touched that first joint as it sent me down a very difficult path, but as we all know, it is what made me who I am today.

I don't really like my younger self very much as I look back through the years, but I suppose I had to be that person first before I could be me now.
I also suspect there is a much better way to say that but it's way to early in the morning to ponder.

Kira Posted: Wed Nov 11 11:15:49 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I took gymnastics, horseback riding, American karate and drama.

Gymnastics was pretty fun, I guess. It was the only class of its kind in our small town and there were too many kids participating, so most of the time you were just standing in line, waiting your turn to do a somersault. I can't remember exactly why I quit, but if I were ever to find an adult gymnastics class, I might consider trying it again.

Horseback riding was fun just because I got to be near horses. I learned the basics of horsemanship, which was useful. I spent one summer with that class, as did an older sibling, but after that we decided we wanted to ride for fun and not "for show" so my parents simply leased a horse at a nearby farm.

I was very excited about karate for the first two weeks of the class. Then we got a different instructor. He was the kind of adult who takes on a whole new persona when talking to anyone under the age of sixteen, a sickly sweet, dumbing-everything-down persona, and I hated him. Still, I wanted to learn and I knew that martial arts were about discipline, so I hung on until my first belt. Still, I decided to leave the class after that. I couldn't have explained why then, but even at that age I could tell I was getting more style over substance. I wasn't being taught how to fight, I was being taught how to fight in a tournament. It wasn't what I wanted.

Drama was the best. Most fun I ever had in my childhood. I LOVED acting. I loved my teacher. I loved my classmates - they were all kids from my homeschoolers' group. I wish I was still putting on plays with them, even now. But I outgrew the class.

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 17:27:34 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
> it is what made me who I am today.

woot

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 17:39:00 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Never had any lessons. Ever. I was a cub scout for maybe a year. It was boring and the other guys were assholes so I quit reminding my folks to take me to the meetings. Instead, I played video games and watched tv or played with legos while listening to Pink Floyd and Toad the Wet Sprocket. We're talking age 9 here. It bothers me to realize that I listened to The Wall on repeat for entire evenings alone in my room at that age.

I went to chess club, freshman and sophomore years in hs. Got bored with it. I've kicked a hackey sack around for about 9 years - It's the only would-be sport that I think I'm really good at.

libra Posted: Wed Nov 11 17:56:41 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I took ballet/jazz, gymnastics, art classes, swimming lessons, went to horse camp and tennis lessons (all at different times. I wasn't an over-scheduled child). None of those things really stayed with me. The remnants are my decent backhand and a minor interest in horses.
I took piano for six years (ages six to twelve). But I can't play anymore. The best part of piano lessons was my teacher, who was ten years older than me and I learned a lot talking to her.
I always disliked participating in these kinds of activities. I was happier reading at home or playing outdoors with my friends.

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 19:12:39 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>I wasn't being taught how to fight,
>It wasn't what I wanted.

Violence is a product of fear. Learn to truly love yourself!

No seriously, I learned to fight by watching too many movies and having decent reflexes.

Kira Posted: Wed Nov 11 22:34:55 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>Kira said:
>>I wasn't being taught how to fight,
>>It wasn't what I wanted.
>
>Violence is a product of fear. Learn to truly love yourself!
>
>No seriously, I learned to fight by watching too many movies and having decent reflexes.

"Fighting" when I use the word usually means sparring. I hope to go my whole life without ever having to use martial arts against an actual attacker, but if that should ever happen I will need to be able to adapt and respond quickly to my opponent's attacks, which are not likely to conform to any formal fighting disciplines.

As a practice, fighting is just another way to express oneself. People have many languages other than speaking. Music is one. Fighting is another. It is possible to translate French into English and still get the basic meaning, but this is not so with music or combat. But the great thing about music is that it is universally understood. This is also true for martial arts, except that you are only "speaking" with your opponent. But the meaning is the same. I enjoy expressing myself this way and feel drawn to it, the way some people are drawn to the guitar.

I do not fight because I am afraid.

Posted: Wed Nov 11 23:10:46 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Piano and Baseball. Could not possibly be more vanilla, eh?

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 11 23:30:37 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>adapt and respond quickly to my opponent's attacks, which are not likely to conform to any formal fighting disciplines.

check out Krav Maga

misszero Posted: Thu Nov 12 09:38:50 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i played the saxophone for a coupla years in primary school. i was pretty bad at it, and even though i enjoyed playing, i didn't practice often because i was uncomfortable making a lot of noise. (i used to like to sing along to stuff loudly though. until my next door neighbour, who was a singing teacher at the conservatorium of music here, suggested i get lessons because i had 'a good foundation of a voice.' then i stopped because i realised someone could hear me.)
did drama outside of school. was pretty okay i guess. there was too much nepotism though, and i fricken hate that shit.

ehwazingwaz Posted: Thu Nov 12 11:33:40 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Drama was the best. Most fun I ever had in my childhood. I LOVED acting.

i suppose that's something else i did in high school: i was part of the acting community. i was in a comic production the summer of my 8th grade year, and that was lots of fun. i wasn't allowed to participate in my freshman year musical because of the things i had done at my previous school, which was why i transferred in the first place. but sophomore through senior year was awesome. i did guys & dolls, annie get your gun, and anything goes. it was all a real treat and i enjoyed every second of it. but at the collegiate level, everyone talks about everyone else, and acting isn't about portraying a character anymore, its more about who can bash who hard enough and still be valued in the eyes of the professors. and that really sucks.

kurohyou Posted: Sun Nov 15 12:05:29 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I never took lessons per se. I got involved in my middle school and high school drama program running lights, sound and building sets. Basically doing all things technical. It actually turned into a career for me for about 8-10 years after HS before I decided I wanted to get into a career where I'm hated, despised and otherwise tend to ruin people's lives, at least in their opinions by pointing out, while this is America, there are still some rules, we call them laws...

I right after I finished my last show I missed it a little bit. Then I didn't because I had a lot more time on my hands. But I will still see some performances and think back to the theatre program and how much fun I had. I miss it on occasion. I think I told myself I had outgrown it. I think in someways I did. But I also think it will always be a part of my life in some way.

It is fun though to see the looks on people's faces when they find out I'm a cop and that I spent 15 years in theatre before becoming a cop. That coupled with the buddhist thing cause people to take a double take on occasion.

For what it's worth...

kurohyou Posted: Sun Nov 15 12:07:13 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>Kira said:
>>adapt and respond quickly to my opponent's attacks, which are not likely to conform to any formal fighting disciplines.
>
>check out Krav Maga

We're about to adapt our D-Tac (Defensive Tactics) training to incorporated some Krav Maga techniques. Some agencies up here already have.

Not that it matters...

kurohyou Posted: Sun Nov 15 12:10:22 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>Never had any lessons. Ever. I was a cub scout for maybe a year. It was boring and the other guys were assholes so I quit reminding my folks to take me to the meetings.

That's funny. I was never a cubscout or a boyscout, or in the military for that fact, though almost everyone I encounter thinks I was or am in the military. I still don't get it.

but recently I volunteered to run my son's Den and then after realizing the entire pack had issues I volunteered to help organize the entire pack because kids were saying the same thing you said.

So far so good, but it takes a lot of work. But the kids are having more fun. We were about to quit before I started helping out.

Puck Posted: Sun Nov 15 16:14:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  They were to type to shut the lights off and think it was the funniest thing, while the supervisor was off doing something else.
I've learned more from quickly flipping through a nearly 30 year old boyscout fieldbook than I did with the troop. But I know how to cook a marshmallow with a pringles can! YEAH!

ehwazingwaz Posted: Sun Nov 15 23:15:43 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>But I know how to cook a marshmallow with a pringles can! YEAH!

i know how to make water from blood or piss. (or any other liquid for that matter).

addi Posted: Mon Nov 16 06:20:58 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:

>i know how to make water from blood or piss. (or any other liquid for that matter).

But can you turn this water into wine?

That's quite a skill you have, waz. If only I could have had that listed on my resume for the last job I applied for. I'm sure they would have hired me. ; )

ehwazingwaz Posted: Mon Nov 16 11:04:31 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>ehwazingwaz said:

>But can you turn this water into wine?

not yet, but i'm working on it.

>That's quite a skill you have, waz. If only I could have had that listed on my resume for the last job I applied for. I'm sure they would have hired me. ; )

lol its not that hard, just requires a few random instruments and a decent amount of time. and any job that might require this skill sounds like a very interesting job to have. :)

Puck Posted: Mon Nov 16 16:46:19 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ehwazingwaz said:
>lol its not that hard, just requires a few random instruments and a decent amount of time. and any job that might require this skill sounds like a very interesting job to have. :)

I don't think that the Fremen are hiring for another few thousand years after extraplanetary colonization begins

Mesh Posted: Sat Nov 21 03:57:02 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Gymnastics, taekwando, karate, wrestling, futbol/american soccer, violin, guitar(attempted tehe), various artist workshops and writing workshops, etc etc. I don't even remember anymore. Did some clubs and crap in school. Halfheartedly, I mean.

Ahriman Posted: Sat Nov 28 17:20:27 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kenpo, Ice Hockey and Hiking.

Kira Posted: Sat Nov 28 22:31:06 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  They give lessons in hiking? What does that entail?

Puck Posted: Sat Nov 28 22:44:48 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>They give lessons in hiking? What does that entail?

"Don't walk over there. Don't climb onto that unstable ledge."?

Puck Posted: Sat Nov 28 22:50:45 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I suppose I learned about humor from watching Seinfeld and The Simpsons etc. And I did literally take notes and read over them in an studious fashion.

ehwazingwaz Posted: Sat Nov 28 22:54:52 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>I suppose I learned about humor from watching Seinfeld and The Simpsons etc. And I did literally take notes and read over them in an studious fashion.

O.o

Puck Posted: Sat Nov 28 23:07:36 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  pretty much from '99-'06, it was all quote note-taking and practicing wit. It's still practice in the way that medical professionals and artists practice medicine and art respectively. Restraining wit is good when the new boss on high says that he recognizes you and you later think to say anything as gritty as "Oh, did you do time in Leavenworth too?" "Maybe you saw me on Adultfriendfinder. I was the platinum blonde..." "Wow, thanks for supporting cakefarts.com"

mat_j Posted: Wed Dec 2 07:31:52 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I had Horse riding, swimming, maths and fencing lessons which pretty much set me up to be a Napoleonic swashbuckling hero i think.

In fact considering my background these are remarkably poncey things to have done.

libra Posted: Wed Dec 2 13:10:13 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>I had Horse riding, swimming, maths and fencing lessons which pretty much set me up to be a Napoleonic swashbuckling hero i think.
>
>In fact considering my background these are remarkably poncey things to have done.

Hehe.

P.S. I like when I arrive at the forum and see that you have blown through with comments on every recent thread. You are definitely a swashbuckler.

mat_j Posted: Thu Dec 3 07:59:36 2009 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>
>P.S. I like when I arrive at the forum and see that you have blown through with comments on every recent thread. You are definitely a swashbuckler.

:-D I heart you even more now old pal!!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]