Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Japan!
choke Posted: Sun Apr 11 23:19:20 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Woo haven't started one of these in awhile.

I just got accepted into a contract to help teach English in Japan!! :D I leave in August. It's the JET programme if anyone has heard of it?

I have never been there so anyone with experience, tips, (on anything Japan, travel, English grammar OR teaching related - or well - anything really) or Japanese language to teach please say something! I am a knowledge hungry sponge.

Love, Tiffany

Kira Posted: Sun Apr 11 23:26:20 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Take me with yoooooou!

Kira Posted: Sun Apr 11 23:32:57 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  On a more helpful note, I've been learning Spanish at BBC online and LiveMocha, both of which are free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/japanese/

http://www.livemocha.com/

mat_j Posted: Mon Apr 12 04:53:01 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Read Haruki Murakami books!!

I have sent many a traveller to Japan with a copy of Norwegian wood in their rucksack

I had a few friends do the JET scheme and all have had real positive experiences from it. I think the trick is not to get alienated which is a problem in Japan.

Also the usual warnings, beware Godzilla and tentacle beasts.

Ahriman Posted: Mon Apr 12 12:48:00 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Take a culinary journey while you're there. You should have access to some pretty dank ingredients.

Billy_pilgrim Posted: Mon Apr 12 14:18:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ah brilliant,

I started an application for this years ago but never followed it through because i'm an eejit.

DO IT CHOKEY CHOKE DO IT!!!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 12 16:13:14 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've got a friend in Matsue and another in Shinjuku (and some associates in Omiya, Shibuya, and Kokubunji). Let me know if you'd like me to put you in touch with somebody!

addi Posted: Tue Apr 13 06:57:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kill Bill while you're over there. The asshole.

choke Posted: Tue Apr 13 18:12:59 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey excellent thanks guys! Kira I have bookmarked the sites, Mat I have written down the author (I've heard it's pretty hard to find books written in English over there so will have to set up some sort of mobile library when I go I think) and Crim I will let you know! At the moment I know not a single person over there but I still have a few months to make some contacts. If I get placed near them I'm definitely keen!

I'm extremely keen to try Japanese foods, I LOVE seafood so hopefully that will work in my favour!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]