Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

studying abroad
Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue May 11 01:45:10 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm doing alot of research on Studying Abroad and UK citizenship. I'm sort of lost in a giant sea of Scholarships, grants, loans, and government websites.

I want to study in either Scotland or England. Then I'd like an internship there and then citizenship and a full time job. I know it's going to be toooooon of paperwork and it'll hurt the wallet for abit but I'm more then willing to put in the effort.

If anybody has studied abroad or has dual citizenship any info would be helpful and appreciated.

I'm going for forensic psychology in the long run. Right now I'm just trying to take care of the basics but I need to get a jump on this process because I know it's a loooong one.

Posted: Tue May 11 13:13:42 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You know, I've studied abroad.

....or two.

(bazinga!)

Kira Posted: Tue May 11 16:42:20 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been browsing through abroadreviews.com over the past few days looking for an affordable volunteer program in Asia. It's been very useful. They list study and intern programs for the UK and a bunch of other places as well.

http://www.abroadreviews.com/

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue May 11 22:59:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks Kira n__n I love the link - it was very useful.

I'm looking at the wait time for becoming a citizen and it's a loooong wait. Not to mention the exam I need to pass...

beetlebum Posted: Wed May 12 00:38:06 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  just so you know i think a law was passed in 2007 that if any non-EU citizen graduated from a uk university they were automatically granted a UK work visa to work in the country for one year.

after you've worked at a uk company for a year, it's considerably easier for a company to prove that you are better qualified for the full time position in which they want to place you than any other EU citizen, which is what they must do in order to sponsor your visa and get it approved. (at that point you already know the job better than anyone else they could possibly hire, which works in your favour.)

also, be aware that in order to study at a UK university you must get a student visa, and to do that you must prove to the UK Consulate in the US that you can afford to live over there for the full period of your studies without either taking a job or being a burden to the state.

anyway, without a company sponsoring your visa, or you marrying a british person, it's pretty difficult to get UK citizenship. it's of course not impossible, but definitely a challenge- and if you can make it through the process, something to really be proud of! :)

mat_j Posted: Wed May 12 05:43:11 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  this is more Pilgrim's territory than mine but i could always set you up with a friend and get you a green card marriage :-)

Beetlebum, do you still live in the UK?

beetlebum Posted: Wed May 12 07:50:41 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hola mat_j

i do not! i live in kansas city, missouri for the time being. but i'll be in the UK in September- how i miss that fine isle!

Puck Posted: Wed May 12 14:33:45 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>i do not! i live in kansas city, missouri for the time being. but i'll be in the UK in September- how i miss that fine isle!

I'm off I-35 and Lamar.

beetlebum Posted: Wed May 12 18:52:02 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  just west of southwest trafficway on westport.

Puck Posted: Thu May 13 00:16:36 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  right on. been to One Bite on 133rd and Antioch? yum.

http://www.onebitegrill.com

Mesh Posted: Thu May 13 22:52:25 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Worlds of Fun!

Puck Posted: Thu May 13 23:45:50 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  pff. worlds of LAME

beetlebum Posted: Sat May 15 13:52:50 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i love worlds of fun.

also, i haven't been to that restaurant. i shall gather friends and try it. thank you.

this is a favourite for me: http://www.bluebirdbistro.com/

Puck Posted: Sun May 16 15:21:19 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>also, i haven't been to that restaurant. i shall gather friends and try it. thank you.
I'm all about the Cheese Bomb Yaki and their mushrooms.

>bluebirdbistro
I've been meaning to try that place.

Have you tried Succotash? Anytime I get up early enough to go there, I'm broke. And Mama's on 39th was awesome before I gave up on meat.

Mesh Posted: Mon May 17 02:21:41 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Who rents out an entire theme park for a day?

http://www.worldsoffun.com/

God Damnit.

mat_j Posted: Tue May 25 03:26:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>hola mat_j
>
>i do not! i live in kansas city, missouri for the time being. but i'll be in the UK in September- how i miss that fine isle!
>
>
Look me up if you're bored, I'll meet you for a cup of tea :-)

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]