Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Ok, who can tell me . . . .
ifihadahif Posted: Thu Jul 15 15:03:09 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm in the market for an E-book reader (gift for my father) and have no idea which one to buy. Anyone ?

Posted: Thu Jul 15 16:21:03 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Depends on what you want to spend, and what sorts of other things your father'd want to do.

My old man loves the iPad not only as a reader but because he can get MLB At Bat on it and track how badly he's losing money gambling, etc. It's remarkably intuitive to use.

The Nook is also pretty solid. One at the office right now. Ease of use is better than kindle or ipad. Not sure how much books from B&N run as opposed to Amazon, or the selection. Maybe that's your deciding factor.

Only experience with the Kindle has been less-than-great on a readability level, but take that with a grain of salt (haven't seen a cloud here in 4 months, etc.)

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Jul 15 16:51:02 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  He doesn't have a broadband connection. Not available out in the country where he lives and doesn't want to spring for satellite connection.
Is that going to be an issue ?

Posted: Thu Jul 15 17:03:59 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Could be - the 3G version of the iPad would still allow him to use it more or less the middle of nowhere (I've gotten directions on mine lost in middle-of-nowhere Nevada, for example)

The Nook (and I presume the Kindle) have USB plugins where you can download your books and what-have-you directly to the device (rather than over the air, which would require WiFi or 3G)

Without WiFi, I'd say the Nook or Kindle are probably your frontrunners

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jul 16 01:36:08 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Could be - the 3G version of the iPad would still allow him to use it more or less the middle of nowhere (I've gotten directions on mine lost in middle-of-nowhere Nevada, for example)
>
>The Nook (and I presume the Kindle) have USB plugins where you can download your books and what-have-you directly to the device (rather than over the air, which would require WiFi or 3G)
>
>Without WiFi, I'd say the Nook or Kindle are probably your frontrunners
>
I'm thinking the Nook is the way I am leaning.
Thanks Crim, you've been very helpful.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]