Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Brain Itch
Kira Posted: Thu Aug 19 16:22:07 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Do any of you have these sort of half-memories that you are dying to solve, that have been with you for years? Like an image or idea that struck you so that you have never quite forgotten it, but you can't remember the whole of it nor what book, movie, place or person it originated from?

I have this image in my head of a lake on top of a mountain (or maybe an extinct volcano?) with a small island in it and a castle built on the island. I KNOW this was a photograph of a real place and that I saw it in a geography book but I can't remember what book it was, let alone the name of the location depicted in the photo.

But the image just won't leave me alone!

I had another such memory solved recently, to my great relief. Some fifteen years ago I read something in a story about being able to "see stars even in the daytime from the bottom of a well." I later forgot the wording and the source material but the imagery of this idea nagged at me for years. Then last week, I reread "The Skylight Room" by O. Henry. Mystery solved.

Kira Posted: Thu Aug 19 16:28:45 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Or maybe there wasn't a castle and I just thought that would be a great place to build one. I can't remember! :(

Posted: Thu Aug 19 16:45:19 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Do any of you have these sort of half-memories that you are dying to solve

Yesterday I couldn't remember the word "Tradition" for like 20 minutes. Tried googling, just couldn't express what I meant to say.

Really annoying.

And surprisingly off-topic! Sorry.

Puck Posted: Fri Aug 20 10:56:31 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've had the memory of having this sensation that my arms keep alternating between feeling normal and then very heavy and possibly swollen.

Another one that I remember is just voices at different speeds - as though they're unnaturally too fast, then too slow. Not like somebody is talking fast or slow, but that the audio is being artificially manipulated.

Man, I hate not being able to recall simple words.

choke Posted: Fri Aug 20 22:22:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  TO THE MAXIMUM.

I read a sweet passage in a book like 4 years ago, and it was talking about how we think our fondest memories are with us for all time. In reality, even if it is there in your memory, you will only ever think of that particular memory say, maybe, twice more before you die. (Or whatever finite but surprisingly small number that you actually do)

Don't know why I found that so interesting. Like, it's probably common sense. But it definitely struck me. (So much so that I've thought of it at least 3 times since then!)

choke Posted: Fri Aug 20 22:23:03 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh, that was unrelated too. Sorry Kira!

Kira Posted: Sat Aug 21 00:36:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't know that that was strictly off-topic, anyway. Regardless, anything bearing the slightest semblance of conversation is preferable to the mindless spammings of the ever lovely emily.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]