Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

New Books thread
mat_j Posted: Fri Oct 15 19:52:46 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Because it's one of my recurring jobs here to post this thread afresh.

At the moment i am reading....

1. Moby Dick- Herman Melville. (awesome but hard going, I've inadvertedly learned a lot about 19th century whaling)

2. The tenderness of wolves- Stef Penney
(Written by a woman with agoraphobia who has never left London about Canada in the 1860s. Won a Costa award for it too, really enjoying it!!)

3. Fates Worse than Death- Kurt Vonnegut (I've been picking this up and putting it down for a while now, never occurs to me to read it then suddenly i get through 40 pages in a row and forget it for another few months)

Kira Posted: Fri Oct 15 22:45:53 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Fnatasists on Fantasy, an excellent collection of essays on, you guessed it, writing fantasy.

And I just put The Princess Bride in my car to take to work but I haven't technically started reading it yet.

Kira Posted: Fri Oct 15 22:48:20 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Uurrrghh as much as I hate to double post I hate that typo even more.

Fantasists.

choke Posted: Sat Oct 16 21:53:34 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  A collection of translated Japanese stories. It's starting to hit me, hard, the difference between putting something in writing in a phonetic alphabet and Kanji. Like, how do you even do it? Every symbol is this vague idea, so a book is pages of vague ideas in certain sequences. I don't know, it's just blowing my mind. Do any of you have much experience with Japanese or Chinese? I'm just burning to meet someone bilingual who can put it in context for me!

mat_j Posted: Mon Oct 18 04:54:55 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This has always blown my mind, if Saphir Whorf hypothesis is anything to go by the effect on the culture must be massive.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Oct 18 12:23:18 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm trying and failing to read much of Drood by Dan Simmons. I'm distracted by stupid homework, getting in the way of my leisure reading. It's good so far.

Posted: Mon Oct 18 13:23:42 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm rereading through David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. I missed so much of the subtlety. 18 months without another book. It's sort of consumed my literary life.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

marsi Posted: Tue Oct 19 16:07:32 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Handling the Undead - John Ajvide Lindqvist

The World's Wife - Carol Ann Duffy

choke Posted: Thu Oct 21 18:19:06 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>This has always blown my mind, if Saphir Whorf hypothesis is anything to go by the effect on the culture must be massive.
>
>
Oh man this is definitely what I was getting at! I am so determined to get to a point where at least some of the Kanji mean things to me, or I can at least talk about it with someone Japanese. I will get back to you on this. It's consuming me.

mat_j Posted: Fri Oct 22 04:22:54 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Please do keep me updated on your findings!

antartica Posted: Sat Oct 30 03:32:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Choke you should try reading the works (if you haven't already) translated from an excellent Japanese author - Haruki Murakami

his stories are so twisted and warped it's fantabulous!

i'm presently re-reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Kira Posted: Sat Oct 30 20:46:37 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. I can't believe I didn't know this book existed up until two weeks ago. It has such beautiful thoughts in it.

Highly recommended. I finished it in under ninety minutes.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Oct 31 07:04:30 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Just read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. I can't believe I didn't know this book existed up until two weeks ago. It has such beautiful thoughts in it.
>
>Highly recommended. I finished it in under ninety minutes.
>
That book was huge in the 70;s.
I recommend the movie soundtrack by Neil Diamond too. Listen to it before you laugh. It's very good music.

choke Posted: Mon Nov 8 06:37:14 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>Choke you should try reading the works (if you haven't already) translated from an excellent Japanese author - Haruki Murakami
>
>his stories are so twisted and warped it's fantabulous!
>

Ooer thanks I will!

mat_j Posted: Tue Nov 9 17:07:54 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can vouch for this he's my all time joint favourite author alongside Graham Greene, Kurt Vonnegut, Iain Banks, George Orwell and a few others.

But really you simply must do it!!

Norwegian Wood is a great entry point but fairly atypical of a majority of his novels, his short stories and book about running are awesome too.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]