Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

desert island
Puck Posted: Tue Nov 23 20:10:10 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just kidding about the title. It's similar though.

If there was a major catastrophe where you live and you had to leave your home in search of a safer place, what items from your home would you bring with you?

Kira Posted: Tue Nov 23 20:27:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Gun.

Smart phone.

Flashlight.

Goods to barter (canned foods, kerosene, etc).

Does all of our technology still work i.e. cars, cell phones, computers?

Kira Posted: Tue Nov 23 20:30:03 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I amuse myself with this "What-if" scenario often and in my version all we have is radio. For some reason.

Puck Posted: Tue Nov 23 21:26:34 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kira said:
>Does all of our technology still work i.e. cars, cell phones, computers?

Cars work. electricity is out. Batteries are ok.

Puck Posted: Tue Nov 23 21:31:24 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  streets are trashed. gas stations are offline

mat_j Posted: Wed Nov 24 06:30:14 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zombies roaming around too by any chance?

I'm writing a book about something similar at the moment, set in a farm house, but with similar concerns, so i've been thinking about it a lot recently....

If i had to leave town (paying in mind we're due snow here soon and that i'd assume i was bascially dressed as i would be around the flat).

My ex British Army boots (Desert edition but easily strong enough to stop whatever ills the Welsh winter will throw at me.

My grey overcoat, deep pockets high collars.

Shemagh scarf, can act as a sling, shawl, head scarf, bandage, shawl or dainty picnic blanket.

My pocket watch, analogue, tough, beautiful.

Russian style hat.

This is Britain, very few real guns, i'd hope to get one (maybe a nice Webley or an SA80 off a corpse or a pump action shotgun from the gunshop on city road, though not strictly in my directiong) but until then a .22 air rifle for hunting small beasts (and yes i can hunt, not great but i can do it). Plus it's light and easy to carry and 8-10 Brits probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a real rifle in a battle for food :-).

soft case for above

Tin of pellets for the rifle (250ish).

Machete, have a great army machete from when i was clearing the rhubarb out of my garden in my old house. very slight bend in it from an aborted tree chopping exercise but it only adds character to it.

my Whitby pocket knife for sharpening pencils and skinning (something i'm NOT good at or keen on!)

One of my Bokken, probably the thinner one to act as a walking stick and a justice deliverer.

My ruck sack containing:

water bottle

flask of whiskey

notebooks, pens and pencils

American Gods by Neil Gaiman, if i'm going to be alone for a long time, i'm taking Neil!

my tiny one person saucepan/ a mess tin if i can get hold of one.

canned goods, (from what i have now).
2 cans of soup, 2 cans of beans, a can of corned beef, half a loaf of bread, some chocolate bars and biscuits, tea bags.

sunglasses.

wind up torch.

lighters galore.

Sleeping bag

My tent is heavy and cumbersome and essentially a cock flavoured lollipop in anything but the ligthest rain. That said i bet i'd regret leaving it behind.. If I had a partner i could easily carry two sleeping bags on the big backpack and have them carry the tent.

A trusty dog would be nice too.

mat_j Posted: Wed Nov 24 07:09:54 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Also gloves!

As i'm in work at am bored I've even planned my route.

I'd leave my apartment early in the morning, it's colder then & frosty & hopefully crazed people would be still inside and any zombies that might be involved would be sluggish or even immobilized by the cold.

I'd make my way due west through the commercial business district (less chance of running into people) to the river.

The river path leads up to the park and is sheltered from the main roads to allow stealthy travel.

I guess it would be warming up a little by the time i reached the park, I'd go under the bridge to avoid any one/thing on the main road and enter the park.

Hopefully the park would be empty of all but a few people/ghouls as it's not a kind of place people would assembly in an apocalypse/crisis.

the park is connected to a trail that would lead me north for about 9 miles which i could easily do in a day.

that should take me to a little village called Taffs Well, I'd shelter there overnight wherever i could before setting out on my next leg of the journey.

I'd have to pass a fairly large industrial park but hopefully again time would help me before i got back into the trees. from there i would head north until i reach Trefforest my old university town. from there i would use the railway line to travel North to my childhood home of Pentre.

Once there i'm sorted, i can get to the mountain with only a short stay in the village, use the mountain as a way of covering ground. as it's a valley i would be only 20 minutes walk down a hill from raiding any number of towns or villages until i found a farm cottage to hunker down in, in relative safety away from the incident.

Ideally though, i would probably remain in the city until i'd gathered a small team and at least one dog. There'd be more supplies in the city and when the snow hits (I've decided my crisis is zombies), survivors would have a great opportunity to fortify an area, take over a prison or something and supply up.

That said the farm house idea is an appealling one, small holding, crops to grow, vehicles, maybe an indepedent petrol supply. My home town would allow great raiding opportunities to get me and my party through the first shaky year.

Grrr i want to post a sample chapter of the book up here now but it's not ready yet.

choke Posted: Wed Nov 24 08:56:06 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd just go to Mat's house

Kira Posted: Wed Nov 24 10:51:01 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I'd just go to Mat's house

LoL SO much.

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 24 12:30:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  bravo, mat

Puck Posted: Wed Nov 24 12:39:41 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *-expendable

-Bike*, tire pump*, helmet*, chain lock*, skateboard*, oil can*, tool kit*, gloves, goggles

-duct tape, bedroll*, nylon rope, black nylon soft luggage bag (stuffed inside of wheelie bag*), binoculars, ocarina, 2"blade, 3" blade, 2 bic lighters, 6 silver quarters, deck of cards, hackey sack, notebook, black sharpie, a few pens, walking umbrella, staff, double-ended sword

bathroom: scissors, nail scissors, nail clippers, straight razor, strop, sharpening stone, mug & brush, 10 oz.dry laundry soap, loofah, safety razor+, toothbrush, toothpaste, tweezers, pliers, gauze, cough drops, ointment, TOWEL!

kitchen: hammer, can opener, spoon, metal cup, wok, nuts and dried fruit, cans/jars (refried beans, chick peas, apple butter, ginger paste, tomato paste), whey powder in a , 2 gallons of water~*, vegjerky, honey, granola

clothes: tight-fitting jeans, belt, suspenders, boots, running shoes, 4 pairs socks, 2 neutral colored shirts, 4 pairs boxers, black hoodie, black cargo jacket, grey fleece scarf, long-sleeve thermal shirt, hat, winter gloves, long coat

Books: How to Stay Alive in the Woods, Boy Scouts Fieldbook

Stuff to barter or leave in the car should I need to switch to manual transport:
[Laptop & charger, dvd book, excess food, potting soil, seeds, heavy speaker wire, latex strap, faux wool blanket, feather pillow, lantern (battery)], phone & charger, ipod & charger*

ETC

Posted: Thu Nov 25 22:27:19 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hovercraft.

Minifridge.

Puppy.

sweet p Posted: Thu Nov 25 22:36:34 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  

> essentially a cock flavoured lollipop

hah, those are the worst!

Ahriman Posted: Fri Nov 26 01:17:29 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ~Pack
~Clothes
~Lights
~Katadyn Filter
~First Aid Kit
~Hatchet
~Knives
~.30-.30
~Rounds
~Hammock
~Subsistence
~Flint
~Windproof lighter
~Snowpeak Stove, Mug, Spork
~Sleep Sack
~Water Bladder
~Rope
~Mulitool
~Ground Mat
~QuikClot
~Casualty Blanket
~Thread and Needle
~Paracord Bracelet
~Compass
~Map Book
~Watch
~Binoculars
~Merrels

Yeaaaaaa

mat_j Posted: Sun Nov 28 14:13:27 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I'd just go to Mat's house

Awwww yisss come to my muthafuckin hawwwss.

Seriously though, it'd be safe, tell the others and bring booze and toilet paper.

addi Posted: Sun Nov 28 14:22:25 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sweet p said:
>
>> essentially a cock flavoured lollipop
>
>hah, those are the worst!
>

I'm not going to ask

Since Mat doesn't live on a desert island going to his house really is not an option now is it.
However, no where in the rule book does it state you can't bring a mat_j with you. That's what I'd do. I'd prefer to bring a female, but mat will have all those important things with him, plus I can see him sneaking in a cock flavoured lollipop.

Puck Posted: Sun Nov 28 16:47:00 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>However, no where in the rule book does it state you can't bring a mat_j with you. That's what I'd do.

It was actually supposed to be things that you already OWN. If you own a mat_j, then alrighty.

addi Posted: Sun Nov 28 21:07:13 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:

>It was actually supposed to be things that you already OWN. If you own a mat_j, then alrighty.

oh
Well I'll say I've owned mat_j for 6 years now, but knowing him he'll deny it

3 times

before the lollipop cock crows

choke Posted: Mon Nov 29 08:17:21 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>choke said:
>>I'd just go to Mat's house
>
>Awwww yisss come to my muthafuckin hawwwss.
>
>Seriously though, it'd be safe, tell the others and bring booze and toilet paper.

Those I can manage

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Nov 29 12:22:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>If there was a major catastrophe where you live and you had to leave your home in search of a safer place, what items from your home would you bring with you?

+backpack
+bike
+two of each: sweaters, short and long sleeved shirts, jeans, hats, gloves, scarves.
+no more than 5 books, though I don't know what I would pick.
+Ax- preferably a double headed one but I don't own one... Yet
+Boomsticks
+Crowbar- A real one: http://tinyurl.com/crow-bar-wrecking
+Puck- He's bringing everything but the kitchen sink.*

*Is this cheating?

Puck Posted: Mon Nov 29 13:15:56 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's only fair because I can handle the weight of most of that crap.

Ahriman Posted: Mon Nov 29 14:06:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Seriously though, it'd be safe, tell the others and bring booze and toilet paper.

On that, what's your "Endgame" drink?

Mesh Posted: Tue Nov 30 00:41:40 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'll tell you what I WOULDN'T take! My gosh danged electric razor! This is some wild times, and by gumm, we are going to have some wild beards.

mat_j Posted: Tue Nov 30 05:24:28 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>addi said:
>>However, no where in the rule book does it state you can't bring a mat_j with you. That's what I'd do.
>
>It was actually supposed to be things that you already OWN. If you own a mat_j, then alrighty.

Nobody owns me except maybe work oh and i guess the Queen? And by the Queen i don't mean Addi though i can see why you'd think that.

PUCK: Yes i noticed that, that's why i picked my little makeshift list, i don't have a lot of fancy stuff, but my route plan is sound and will provide for me.

MESH: By gumm- Awesome, a great old timey cuss.

CHOKE: let the good times roll! (toilet pun there.... no? no? ok)

AHRIMAN: Good question, my end of the world drinks cabinet would consist of.
Laiphroag scotch single malt, Glenfiddich scotch single malt, Jamesons scotch blend, Powers Irish whiskey 12 years old reserve, Penderyns single malt Welsh Wysgi. 4 big bottles of decent vodka (Smirnoff or Stoli maybe) that's just for other people/ white Russians. 4 bottles of Kalhua. 3 bottles of Sailor Jerrys rum. 24 pack of Corona lager, crate of limes assorted mixers, ice bucket with ice.

mat_j Posted: Tue Nov 30 05:34:13 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  actually better make that 2 crates of corona and maybe some bud lites in case Addi survives the intial cataclysm.

Also Koppraberg Pear Cider 2 crates and a pair of bottles of Gordons gin (for when the dark spirits start making me sick.

couple of bottles of wine too, a dozen medium Italian barolo, 16 vivue Clinquot's, a dozen californian Rose (So i like a litte Rose every now and again, big woop wanna fight about it? :-) ) and a good New World white probably Chilean or Aussie.

Also tortilla chips and various other snacks and some milk thistle pills for the hangover.

This stash is for everyone BTW not just myself, though i would make a damned good effort on it! :-)

mat_j Posted: Tue Nov 30 05:35:43 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And a few Jamesons and some Vat 69 but only in that bottle they use in band of brothers.

misszero Posted: Tue Nov 30 07:42:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  pimms. always.

choke Posted: Tue Nov 30 08:16:56 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Enough wine for Edward Wine Hands all round. If we cannot carry bottles enough casks for Goonface. (Literally, a goon taped to the face). And a bottle of Canadian Club for quiet time

choke Posted: Tue Nov 30 08:18:58 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>
>CHOKE: let the good times roll! (toilet pun there.... no? no? ok)
>
>

Pun it up sir, we be free men now.

Also the situation got so bad in my town if you wanted to party with us you had to bring your own toilet roll or steal a wad from a servo if you wanted to partake.

choke Posted: Tue Nov 30 08:20:48 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Plus Mesh I live for ferocious beards

Ahriman Posted: Tue Nov 30 14:52:37 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>AHRIMAN: Good question, my end of the world drinks cabinet would consist of.
>Laiphroag scotch single malt, Glenfiddich scotch single malt, Jamesons scotch blend, Powers Irish whiskey 12 years old reserve, Penderyns single malt Welsh Wysgi. 4 big bottles of decent vodka (Smirnoff or Stoli maybe) that's just for other people/ white Russians. 4 bottles of Kalhua. 3 bottles of Sailor Jerrys rum. 24 pack of Corona lager, crate of limes assorted mixers, ice bucket with ice.

Damn...

I'd just have a bottle of Jameson. Some coffee would be nice too.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Nov 30 14:56:04 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>It's only fair because I can handle the weight of most of that crap.

3 cheers for adorable pack mules!

mat_j Posted: Wed Dec 1 08:02:19 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>Puck said:
>>It's only fair because I can handle the weight of most of that crap.
>
>3 cheers for adorable pack mules!

heh heh. Mule.

Also Mesh- Heroic beards viking beards all round, with at least Zach Galifianakis lustrousness and length.

Ahriman- Jamesons is my favourite blend, good choice.

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 1 08:37:03 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>heh heh. Mule.

Lolz

Oh, Homer...

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 1 13:30:12 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  

mat_j said:
>heh heh. Mule.

MONORAIL! Mono-D'oh!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 1 16:13:56 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ahriman said:
>On that, what's your "Endgame" drink?

At least 200 Crates of each of these flavors- alpine berry, white peony, chamomile, orange sencha, mountain high chai, better morning blend, peppermint, gen mai cha, better rest blend, and jasmine petal from Two Leaves and a Bud.

500 crates of coconut juice with pulp

30 crates of each apple and pear cider

50 crates of Virgil's Root beer

That's about it. I can always make my own booze with my own fruits from my trees.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 1 16:16:06 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Heroic beards viking beards all round,

That is the only kind of beard to have :D

I've wanted a vikings death at well. Boat on flames, the whole nine yards. :)

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 1 16:34:15 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>Ahriman said:
>>On that, what's your "Endgame" drink?
>
>At least 200 Crates of each of these flavors- alpine berry, white peony, chamomile, orange sencha, mountain high chai, better morning blend, peppermint, gen mai cha, better rest blend, and jasmine petal from Two Leaves and a Bud.
>
>500 crates of coconut juice with pulp
>
>30 crates of each apple and pear cider
>
>50 crates of Virgil's Root beer
>
>That's about it. I can always make my own booze with my own fruits from my trees.
>
Um, you're gonna need a truck.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Dec 1 17:15:54 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Um, you're gonna need a truck.

Part of my dream home includes a massive underground bunker.

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 1 17:42:19 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Freak. Those're the sort of dreams when you've slept all days while feverish.

I'll just have some filtered water with a chunk of frozen mango

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 1 21:09:39 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Um, you're gonna need a truck.
>
>Part of my dream home includes a massive underground bunker.
>
Like in the movie "Blast from the Past" ?
With Brendan Fraser and Chris Walken ?

Ahriman Posted: Wed Dec 1 21:52:02 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:

>500 crates of coconut juice with pulp

:D

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Dec 2 16:26:02 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hate all you want puck but I'll be set for the end of the world.

No tea for you! jerk.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Dec 2 16:27:36 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Like in the movie "Blast from the Past" ?
>With Brendan Fraser and Chris Walken ?

Never saw the movie. I hate Brendan Fraser :(

I don't plan on sharing my sock of drinks because I'm greedy. And junk.

Okay I'll share my tea. Maybe.

mat_j Posted: Wed Dec 8 07:33:59 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:

>Never saw the movie. I hate Brendan Fraser :(

Me too, what's the story with this guy making money??
>
>I don't plan on sharing my sock of drinks because I'm greedy. And junk.
>
This drinking sock you speak of, it sounds.... gross :-)

Puck Posted: Wed Dec 8 10:37:41 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>This drinking sock you speak of, it sounds.... gross :-)

Men drink from leather gloves.

choke Posted: Thu Dec 9 05:28:03 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>mat_j said:
>>This drinking sock you speak of, it sounds.... gross :-)
>
>Men drink from leather gloves.

Kiwis drink from gumboots

mat_j Posted: Thu Dec 9 07:13:35 2010 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Puck said:
>>mat_j said:
>>>This drinking sock you speak of, it sounds.... gross :-)
>>
>>Men drink from leather gloves.
>
>Kiwis drink from gumboots

Taffys drink from dai caps.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]